Video (as in movie/film) library?

Started by
10 comments, last by Raduprv 19 years, 9 months ago
Does anyone here know a free (free as in that allows you to incorporate it in your software without releasing the code source, such as LGPL for example) library that display video files with audio? Of course, they should be compressed. The format should also be patent free.
Advertisement
I'm thinking SDL has one. I'll ask around and work and see what I can come up with. Let me ask my buddy in the next room over...

Yeah. Look up FFMPEG. It's a program that uses a couple of av codecs. You should be able to use those codecs in your own program.
You can use the DivX format for free. They have a special Indie Licensing program that if you sign up for it all you have to do is state on/in your product that you use DivX technologies.

DivX Indie Program
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
ffmpeg is cool. But there are some issues involved with patents.

I'd recommend either DirectShow (if you don't care about being tied to windows).

Or, alternatively, I'd recommend Ogg Theora. Click here for a demo of mine and reason why I am currently using Theora.
Thanks, ffmpeg looks interesting, but I also think there are some issues regarding the mpeg and divx formats (licensing).
As for DirectShow, I forgot to mention that this library has to be portable.
zer0wolf, that program appears to be for small independent movie makers, and apparently it is letting you use the divx format without paying them money. I want to use it for an indie game (Eternal lands, plus whatever other games we'll do using the engine).
If they'll let you use it in a movie I don't really see why they wouldn't let you use it in a game.

It never hurts to just write them and ask.
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
Quote:Original post by Raduprv
Thanks, ffmpeg looks interesting, but I also think there are some issues regarding the mpeg and divx formats (licensing).
As for DirectShow, I forgot to mention that this library has to be portable.
zer0wolf, that program appears to be for small independent movie makers, and apparently it is letting you use the divx format without paying them money. I want to use it for an indie game (Eternal lands, plus whatever other games we'll do using the engine).

You should definately try out Theora Than. Check out the link I posted. I have reworked the example player that comes with Theora distribution into a set of classes. I have also abstracted out the audio system so that it is not dependent on portaudio (as it is now). Real soon now I will upload it (probably with a BSD or zlib license) to ogreaddons. The plugin will be made for OGRE, but should definaely be easily changeable for whatever API/Graphics Engine since all it needs to do is setup a texture/bitmap and blit to it.
Quote:Original post by zer0wolf
If they'll let you use it in a movie I don't really see why they wouldn't let you use it in a game.

It never hurts to just write them and ask.

That's true it never hurts to ask. But, I think they probably wont give out/allow anyone to have the code for their codec.
Quote:Original post by pjcast
You should definately try out Theora Than. Check out the link I posted. I have reworked the example player that comes with Theora distribution into a set of classes. I have also abstracted out the audio system so that it is not dependent on portaudio (as it is now). Real soon now I will upload it (probably with a BSD or zlib license) to ogreaddons. The plugin will be made for OGRE, but should definaely be easily changeable for whatever API/Graphics Engine since all it needs to do is setup a texture/bitmap and blit to it.

Ok, I'll look for Theora, thanks.

[edit]
OMFG, Theora seems to be the answer to everything (Theora==42) :)
Thanks!
How will anyone ever find out what compression you use without breaking some law in the first place? You could just change the file extension and change the way stuff is saved in the header so normal files of that type won't work with your program...then they would have to do some reverse engineering to find out what you use. Usually the software developers have something along the lines of "no reverse engineering" in their EULA.

Of course, if you have an opensource program..that won't work so well. And, well, it is still illegal....

I was going to mention FFMPEG but that's already been mentioned, so basically this post is useless.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement