• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Ysaneya

The ultimate collection of links related to space

This topic is 2202 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
Hey, nice list!

Do you know where can I find free decent planet textures of at least the 9 planets of our solar system?

Celestia

Celestia is a free real-time space simulation that lets you experience our universe in three dimensions. Unlike most planetarium software, Celestia doesn't confine you to the surface of the Earth. You can travel throughout the solar system, to any of over 100,000 stars, or even beyond the galaxy. All travel in Celestia is seamless; the exponential zoom feature lets you explore space across a huge range of scales, from galaxy clusters down to spacecraft only a few meters across. A 'point-and-goto' interface makes it simple to navigate through the universe to the object you want to visit.

I dont have any links right now, but I like this idea for a thread, and I'd just like to suggest that if you're planning to update the original post with the additional links that you somehow mark the latest additions to save people reading through the whole list to find the new links.

One link: Astronomy Picture Of The Day. I've amassed such a large number of great images just from this page over the last 5 years that I'll never need other art sources :)

(Note: images credited to NASA are OK to use in commercial games as is, but most others aren't.. so check the credits)

The listing for:

"A list of space-based games.. commercial or not:"

Is a link to "Space and Technology Generators" at this present time.

Joystick Required has a list of Joystick-enabled Space sims that you could use, though. I don't know where such a list is "findable", though I've thought about making one before.

Is that a typo, or did the link change?

Anyway, I've thought about making this a "project", and this may give me the excuse.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!