who's your favourite guitarist?

Started by
33 comments, last by IADaveMark 19 years, 9 months ago
Quote:Original post by Acoustica
Quote:Original post by xg0blin
Are you being sarcastic Acoustica? I have a hard time figuring out sarcasm in text without sarcasm tags or something.

Eh? I've been a huge fan of classical music and heavy metal for the longest time, he's a mesh of my genre interests and I find him in my opinion to be very talented and original at what he does. Ain't nothing wrong with a little crossover. [smile]

Oh, ok. I thought you were being sarcastic. I generally make fun of Yngwie sarcastically and I thought that's what you were doing. Not that he's not a good guitarist or anything, just the stuff like doing a kick in tight leather pants outside of the 80's, horrible hair, calling himself a "composer" (chuckle), and that horrible frily shirts he wears as if he's really Beethoven or something. Heh, Yngwie is hilarious so I thought that's what you were talking about.
Advertisement
Without a doubt I would have to say Frank Zappa.
"Prince, what you are you are by accident of birth; what Iam, I am through my own efforts. There have been thousands ofprinces and will be thousands more; there is only one Beethoven!"
Oh, ok. I thought you were being sarcastic. I generally make fun of Yngwie sarcastically and I thought that's what you were doing. Not that he's not a good guitarist or anything, just the stuff like doing a kick in tight leather pants outside of the 80's, horrible hair, calling himself a "composer" (chuckle), and that horrible frily shirts he wears as if he's really Beethoven or something. Heh, Yngwie is hilarious so I thought that's what you were talking about.

Haha, well I guess I should have said his MUSIC is what I like, he is a bit...out there, but then again, so was Liberace. [smile]
What surprises me is that no-one mentioned Chuck Schuldiner (Death) except me, does anyone know Death? And indeed Yngwie Malmsteen is great too.
What about Paul Gilbert? I heard he's good and i saw a movie where he indeed is but i think his album Burning Organ is just crap (just my opinion).
I'm hoping someone remembers this guy's name, and if it's already been said, would be great for someone to politely smack me up a bit, but he is a fusion jazz guitarist and does some amazing work, grr...I wish I remembered his name. :(
Quote:Original post by Acoustica
I'm hoping someone remembers this guy's name, and if it's already been said, would be great for someone to politely smack me up a bit, but he is a fusion jazz guitarist and does some amazing work, grr...I wish I remembered his name. :(

Gee, that narrows it down :)
Gee, that narrows it down :)

Haha, I know, my friends call me General Specific for a reason. [grin]
Dave Mustaine
Marty Friedman
Chris Poland
Eddie Van Halen
Tony Iommi
Alexi Laiho
Jeff Loomis

Quote:
What surprises me is that no-one mentioned Chuck Schuldiner (Death) except me, does anyone know Death? And indeed Yngwie Malmsteen is great too.

Yes Death is awesome.

The thing about Yngwie Malmsteen is, is that he is indeed an awesome guitarist, but the more you listen to him, the more you realize that all his solos sound pretty much the same. He's still great though.
------------------------------BASIC programmers don't die, they just GOSUB and don't return.
Quote:Original post by GarlandIX
The thing about Yngwie Malmsteen is, is that he is indeed an awesome guitarist, but the more you listen to him, the more you realize that all his solos sound pretty much the same. He's still great though.

He's definitely a fast guitarist. Everything he does is harmonic minor, and I mean everything. I've heard him masterbate on a couple of penatonic scales before, but it's rare that everything he does isn't A harmonic minor.

Some (not I) would accuse him of cheating for his sweep picking (Al Di Meola for one). I think they're ridiculous as well. I just wanted to point out how not about the music these technical types of musicians are. So much that something you play can be considered "cheating".
Hmm, instead of listing off a bunch of guitarists (I like a LOT) I'll list just a few and give some reasons why I like them :P

John Petrucci - He's written some killer solos, and the man is a machine when it comes to alternate picking. I think he's got good phrasing and a very unique sound. He's also very versatile, he can play almost anything. Check out Under A Glass Moon by Dream Theater if you want to hear him.

Steve Vai - the jedi master of guitar :). He can make the guitar cry, he can make it laugh, he can make it sound like a horse, he can do anything with the instrument. He's got some of the most control I've ever seen.

David Gilmour - My favorite song is Comfortably Numb. That guitar solo is amazing. David Gilmour doesn't need all of the technical prowess to rule at the guitar.

Paul Gilbert - I like how fluid and groovy his solos are. He can play some good classical stuff too.

Pat Metheny - I like how his playing flows on the guitar. He plays with his fingers, and he's got some real groove when he plays.

Some other of my favorites are:

Greg Howe
Marty Friedman
Jason Becker
Yngwie Malmsteen
EVH
Stevie Ray Vaughan

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement