• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

[java] How to know which MouseButton was pressed

This topic is 6328 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

greets. i know its quite basic, but when using the mouse events (mouseDown(Event....)), how can i tell which button the user pressed? Thanks.

Advertisement
Have not done this in a while but
mouseevent.getModifiers() & BUTTON3_MASK > 0
Somewone correct me if I am wrong.

I wanrned you! Didn't I warn you?! That colored chalk was forged by Lucifer himself!

mouseevent.getModifiers() & BUTTON3_MASK > 0

I wanrned you! Didn't I warn you?! That colored chalk was forged by Lucifer himself!

mouseevent.getModifiers() & MouseEvent.BUTTON3_MASK > 0

Hit the reply to topic button and nothing happened so I kept hitting it. By the way the last post is correct. Forgot the MouseEvent part. Sorry.

Perhaps this can help:

in your
public void mouseClicked (MouseEvent evt)
{
if (evt.isMetaDown())
{
// Rightclick
}
else
{
// Leftclick
}
}

about the other buttons... I don''t know sorry.

Smoo

I was under the impression that Java only supported one mouse button to be compatible with Macs (although I have seen mac mouses with more than one button). At least thats what it says in one of my books...

Guest Anonymous Poster
Smoo, MouseEvent.isMetaDown will return true if the ALT key is held down during the mouse click. The safest way to determine if the second button is being pressed is by checking MouseEvent.isPopupTrigger(). This''ll return true if the mouse button that''s used as the popup menu trigger has been pressed. If the method returns false, you know it''s the "normal" click button.

The reason you want to use this is that if the user is left handed and switches the two mouse buttons, isPopupTrigger will return the correct one. That''s why you don''t want to check for mouse button 1, mouse button 2, etc., unless you want to have specific functionality for those buttons.

In that case, you would do what GKW suggested.

deakin, Java supports up to 3 button mice, and has since at least Java 1.1 was first released. No wheel support [yet] though!

2000-06-30
A MouseWheelListener was added to BasicScrollPaneUI. The listener code calls into BasicScrollBarUI to scroll the appropriate scrollbar.

This was the evaluation of one of the many ''bug'' reports on java not supportion wheel mice. The code has been commited to Merlin.

Just as a reply to anonymous'' post, he/she got me thinking if evt.isMetaDown() would be triggered with the ALT so I tried it and it doesn''t work.

It does register the rightclick.

Perhaps anon was thinking that the mac''s meta was similar to the PC''s ALT (granted I know jack about macs so I have no clue which buttons simulate what on where).

Smoo

• Advertisement