One good thing about I, Robot

Started by
11 comments, last by Code_Dark 19 years, 8 months ago
There were no romance/sexually-oriented scenes whatsoever. Trust me, that's a really good thing. Haven't seen any movies that lack romance scenes lately, sadly. Anyway, it's a very good movie overall. I liked it. It's cool to see robots doing martial arts ;) And now, my favourite quote is, "You are experiencing a car accident."
Advertisement
It looks fairly decent from the previews.

Maddox doesn't seem to like it though [smile]
Quote:Original post by evolutional
Maddox doesn't seem to like it though [smile]

Has Maddox written a favorable article yet?
Disclaimer: "I am in no way qualified to present advice on any topic concerning anything and can not be held responsible for any damages that my advice may incurr (due to neither my negligence nor yours)"
There was his review of Ikaruga, which I recall agreeing with 100%. [cool]

Jesus saves ... the rest of you take 2d4 fire damage.

Quote:Original post by falkone

Has Maddox written a favorable article yet?

Well there was that one time he... no wait... he hasn't.

Oh yeah, except Ikaruga
*SPOILER*

The one and only thing I didn't like about I, Robot was the whole underwater dream sequences. It didn't go anywhere, and I'm sure they missed out explaining why he had to have his ribs, shoulder, and arm replaced. They made a huge mistake by not explaining WHY he hated robots so much, with the dream sequences being the most likely reason. (Of course they didn't include enough sequences to explain it).
*SPOILER*

My take on Jim Adams' points.

He was in a bad car accident and since he couldn't exit the car, my guess is he was some how pinned. When the robot saved him, it was quite forcefully and this may have either ripped off his are or left it in bad shape.

He hates robots because they don't feel. He doesn't believe pure logic can be used to decide things. In his opinion, it would have been the caring thing to save the girl and let him die since humans value a child's life more. But the robot was purely logical. Long story short, he doesn't trust robots because they don't have hearts.

I really liked the movie, but I do think this part of the movie could have been brought out more.
*SPOILER*

Also, his father lost a job to a robot.

I thought the movie was great. Great comedy and timing, awesome action sequences and a pretty solid plot. I loved watching Sonny throw the nanites into the air, than snap the other robots neck, and catch the nanintes all in one motion. It was fucking awesome.

The one thing I absolutely LOVED was that that the AI wasn't evil just for the sake of being evil, like in so many other stories (The Matrix, Terminator series, etc). It actually had a logical reason to be "evil".
Maddox's article on the movie is somewhat contradicting. First he complains that the movie had little to do with the book and has the picture of Will Smith pissing on Asimov's grave, then at the end of the article he complains that the robots weren't violent enough, that they were pansies and just helped people out and made cupcakes.

He did have a point about all the advertising in the movie, though.

Whatever, I liked the movie. I thought it was fun to watch and it had cool robots :D
LOL, Samith. By his definition, Asimov's own robots were pansies, so why does he care that Wil Smith made a boatload of money from this film? It's like complaining the LOTR movie didn't feature space aliens, and therefore wasn't true to Tolkien's vision.

I feel that if you are a diehard Asimov fan, go in to the theater expecting to see a movie that's vaguely suggested by Asimov's universe, but isn't directly based upon any of his works. If you are not, go see it anyway. It's got robots, explosions, and Wil Smith humor. Either way, you should enjoy it to some degree.

Biggest plus for this movie: It's getting a science fiction grandmaster's name published wide and far to the great unwashed masses. Hopefully, they'll started the presses and are cranking out special movie-cover-edition "I, Robot" novels, so there's the chance someone will pick one up, read it, and see what Asimov's robots were really about.
--- - 2D/Pixel Artist - 3D Artist - Game Programmer - Ulfr Fenris[[ Gaping Wolf Software ]] [[ GameGenesis Forums ]]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement