Beginning Direct X 9

Started by
6 comments, last by dx elliot 19 years, 8 months ago
Hey, I'm wanting to learn DirectX 9 and was wondering if a few books where any good or what you recommend. Book 1 Book 2 Thsoe are the books I"m looking at. Does anyone else have any suggestions?
Advertisement
Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 9.0 by Frank D. Luna
I would suggest taking the DirectX class at Game Institute or Gameversity.
-dizzyGame Institute InternPlease rate me. :)
Ok, any other ideas? Thats for the help so far.
Just a note. Book2 is about *managed* DirectX, i.e. a .NET wrapper around the normal COM based DX. So, if you're not aiming for developing .NET applications (in C# for example) this is not the book for you. However, if that's your intention, it's a good pick :)
The second book you mentioned, "Managed DirectX 9 Kick start" is going to force you into programming with the .Net libraries. This is something you want to pretty much stay away from if you're hoping to take the skills you learn to a real game programming job, no game companies out there use Managed directx. There is another book by the same publisher called Direct3D Kick Start which while based on DX8 is more useful.

The first book, Beginning DirectX 9, would be able to get you up and running. Even though i'm biased towards it, Beginning DX9 pretty much covers the same things most other books do. It's pretty much a personal preference on how you want to learn. I would suggest going to a bookstore and browsing through all the DX books, the style of the author has a lot to do with how well you soak up all the information.

--Wendy
Author of Beginning DirectX 9
In the forum FAQ there are a number of tutorial sites listed. Quality information and at an unbeatable price (free).
Stay Casual,KenDrunken Hyena
Quote:Original post by Viatrak
Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 9.0 by Frank D. Luna

I'll second that, it's what I used when I started.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement