Choosing Unix/Linux Platform

Started by
14 comments, last by sSimontis 19 years, 8 months ago
I've decided dual-booting. I've just partitioned my harddisk. I think I'm gonna try Fedora first.
Advertisement
I've installed Fedora now, but I have a question.
I know I deserve to be spitted at, but where can I find the command line? (I'm using gnome)
The key word to look for in the menu is 'terminal'.

Or you can hold down Alt-Ctrl and press any of F1 through F6. That should give you several fullscreen textmode terminals. (Unless of course they don't run virtual terminals on them anymore in Fedora, which I doubt)
"Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a bygone vexation stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.".....V
It works. Thanks for all the advice.
it's fedora that need spitting on, not you!

alt+f2 in gnome should bring up a sort of command line - if you can't find a terminal program in the gnome menus (when I tried Fedora I found one in the gnome menu, but not the kde one) type terminal or gnome-terminal in there, and hopefully one of them will give you a terminal (easier than having to switch to a virtual console). If you have kde installed as well, typing konsole will do the job too
Also, a very good site is www.linxuquestions.org. They have a Linux HCL, an active forum, Linux news briefs, and all sorts of other stuff. It is one of the best Linux sites I have seen. Good luck with Linux!
Scott SimontisMy political blog

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement