Choosing Unix/Linux Platform

Started by
14 comments, last by sSimontis 19 years, 8 months ago
Hi, I'm fed up with Windows, especially with Visual Studio, and I've just got a new laptop, so I'm thinking about using Unix or Linux. However, I haven't used either Unix or Linux before, so I'd like your advice. The following are the considerations: I'm going to study in Australia, so I think I need a software that can use Microsoft Office's documents. An option is to partition the harddisk and have both Windows and Unix/Linux. If that's the case then the Unix/Linux part will be used mainly for programming only, so GUI or friendly interfaces is not important. The other option is to have Unix/Linux only. If that's the case I would prefer(though not necessary) a GUI and more friendly interface. And, which Unix/Linux should I choose? My friend advised me Mandrake Linux. I've searched the web a bit, and Mandrake Linux looks quite satisfying. But I'd like to hear more about it and other options. Please give me some advice. Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
OpenOffice for MS Office documents.
As you said, dual-booting would probably be a good option since you don't have any experience with unix or linux.
On the other hand using linux exclusively on the machine will force you to get used to it, making you more fluent with it faster.
As for distribution to use there are many good ones. Personally I would recommend arch linux or slackware but I'm sure others would not recommend those for a beginner. Maybe mandrake, fedora or suse would suit you better.
What in particular is pissing you off about Visual Studio? Because I can tell you know it's probably the program you will miss the most!
suse for complete beginners
fedora for beginners
is my advice

Do not worry about the nice guy use KDE (included with all main distributions) and you will have a very easy gui maybe easier
than windows

by
einKI
suse and fedora are in my opinion the best distros to start
an interesting alternative would be to use knoppix and install it on your harddisk... just a thought *gg* (in case you do this, give a quick post of your exp with it)

but before your start setting up linux on your notebook do a lot of googling about it combined with linux

that especially usefull in case of extra buttons on your notebook like volume-control etc.

for programming:
kdevelop under kde is quite nice
but i prefer anjuta and gnome as gui

openoffice is a nice suite that will replace office

in case of dualboot:
always make the first partition windows... a friend of mine didn't do that and the only help was to reinstall it *gg*
KOffice suite of KDE can handle most MS. Office formats quite decently.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
Easy to install and maintain: www.debian.org
Not so easy to install but something if you want really learn things about Linux/Unix: www.gentoo.org

RedHat is also recommendable.
--------------------------Just signaturing around :)
I've gone through the web, but I found little out of it, except suse, fedora being easier while arch and slackware being harder but more powerful.

Can someone tell me more definitely about different distributions please?
I think you cannot give a specific advice, try them, most of them are downloadable for free and choose which one suites you best. You can install nearly everything from one distibution on another so don't be worried missing something by taking the wrong distribution. If you take SuSe or Redhat you will get the most Windows-like feeling to it in my opinion so this is maybe a good start (and they come also with tons of software).
--------------------------Just signaturing around :)
If you really need to use Office it may be worth your time to setup a dual boot system. Lots of stuff claims to read .doc but you'll find that a .doc will look different in every software package you open it in. If you have to use .doc, MS Word is the only way to go.

What I did was keep a copy of Abiword around on my roaming Windows desktop at school, and a copy on my Linux box. I just used TRF and printed from Abi in a lab when I needed to. It worked out pretty nice, but you still may have to shuffle a little between Linux and Windows Abiword.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement