Sign in to follow this  
Wavewash

code consistancy while coding on multiple machines

I have a bit of a problem. I am trying to code on both my desktop and my laptop. The code and resources that I am working on has become quite large (100+ megs) and it's becoming a pain to copy back and forth. I don't change every single file when I code, I just change a few. Problem is I never can keep track. Is there any program or way I can keep track of changes to the files and beable to copy them back and forth between my laptop and desktop? I tried looking at CVS but I am not sure if it's a real solution to my problem. It seems a little overly complicated for my purposes since I am the only person working on this project. Any help or comments would be appreciated. Thanks. ~Wave

CVS is still very much worth it for one person IMO. Think of it as an infinite undo. CVS + Diff program = very easy to fix bugs that pop up in things you modify.

I downloaded WinCVS and it just seems too much to set up. There's a lot going on that I don't understand. Maybe I just need to get used to it. I'll look more into it. Thanks.

~Wave

Perhaps you can get them sunc using "rsync" ?

Could be dangerous if you accidentally go the wrong way though. Perhaps there's a 2-way equivalent of rsync?

Mark

I installed TortoiseCVS (err, is that what you meant? EDIT: No it wasn't.) the other day, as well as a CVS server on an old compaq, and I think it's pretty nice. It was a fun little learning experience.

Yeah I second that, CVS is a good solution even if you're the only one working on it. The one I've heard the most recommendation for is Subversion (never used that one though)

You might go a different direction though: I have a desktop and a laptop at my place, and whenever I do any dev work on the laptop, I just use Remote Desktop to log onto the desktop. So it's like I'm doing all the work on the desktop. It works great. Remote desktop is kind of annoying and sluggish when you do it over the internet, but when you remote desktop across a LAN, it works great.

Remote Desktop server is build into XP pro, and client programs are free for most Windows versions. You can also go 3rd party, with Tridia VNC, or google for other programs that have VNC in the name.