Sign in to follow this  
benryves

Unity Just started J2ME - need help.

benryves    1999
As you can see from this thread, I have just started J2ME. That thread is more plugging my 3D engine, and here is probably the best place to ask for help. Is there anywhere a reference that teaches "good" Java practises, and explains what everything is - as in, what a class is, what a method is, and so on. Also, a more specific question - how do you make apps full screen? I have the white space under all mine where the soft key labels would be drawn.

shmoove    821
I'll start with the fullscreen stuff.
MIDP 1.0 itself doesn't have any standard way to go fullscreen. On some devices you can just paint over the soft-key area, some have special APIs in order to get the functionality, some just default to fullscreen if you don't add any Commands. From the other thread I see you have a 3510i, so I can tell you on that phone (and any Nokia handset for that matter), you need to download the Nokia SDK from forum.nokia.com and use a proprietary class called com.nokia.mid.ui.FullCanvas. The proprietary API will also give you access to other nifty stuff like sounds, vibration, and acessing pixels/drawing pixel arrays (for those textures you would want to do).
With MIDP 2.0 phones they added the fullscreen functionality as a standard with the Canvas.setFullscreenMode() method.

Now for learning Java. The obvious answer would be: books! Personally I also started my Java journey with MIDP so I'm not familiar with any good J2SE/J2EE books (go snooping around java.sun.com and I'll bet you can find a lot). But for J2ME I could recomend:
J2ME Game Programming
Jason Lam's online book

Some more online tutorials from Sun can also be a nice way to get acquainted with the basics of Java: The Java Tutorial trails.

Other than that: keep up the good work, that 3D engine looks great for someones first foray into mobile development.

shmoove