Sign in to follow this  
sebastiansylvan

[.net] Querying user hardware

Hey. I was wondering if anyone could help me querying the users hardware to select the best supported device. All I really do is draw some blobs on the screen. I don't even do any texturing. I do use one light (via Device.Lights). So I only really care about this: Z-buffer bits, I'd prefer as high as possible, but would like to support all depths. Vertex processing. I want to support all types of hardware here. I do not use the programmable pipeline so I just want to be able to run on hardware without geometry processing (TNT2, Voodoo3 type hardware) and hardware with it (Geforce1 and later). How would I go about setting something like this up. Is there perhaps already something in the SDK which will simply select the "best" device for the available hardware? I couldn't find it... Thank you in advance for you help!

Guest Anonymous Poster
Hi,

There isnt something that automatically gets the best settings for you, but if you use the Manager classes from the Microsoft.Direct3D.3DX assemblies, they provide access to all the HardwareCaps that you need.

Sorry, the above was me ... I was at work, so couldn't remember the example.

Once you have created your device you can use it's DeviceCaps property.

eg

if
(_device.DeviceCaps.TextureFilterCaps.SupportsMinifyAnisotropic)
_device.SamplerState[0].MinFilter = TextureFilter.Anisotropic;

have a look around the DeviceCaps, there is a lot of information.