• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
TonyFish

LUA: Instantiating lua objects from c++ [SORTED] I think

This topic is 5069 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

How can I do this in c++? Let's say I have a c++ class (baseclass) which i extend in lua (derivedclass). I'd like to create an instace of derivedclass from the c++ code. I've looked through the docs but haven't had much success. Could someone please help em with this mater. Thanks Tony [Edited by - TonyFish on August 3, 2004 11:39:36 AM]

Advertisement
You can instantiate it in a Lua VM (by executing code in the VM), but it isn't possible to create a C++ object for it (using the derived interface etc) if that's what you want to do.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

-psy

I got an answer out of someone in the luabind mailinglist:

Instantiating a lua class is just a matter of calling the constructor like any other function. For example:

object my_class(get_globals(L)["my_class"]);

Since the object won't be stored anywhere in lua, you need to adopt the object. Otherwise it will be collected by lua.
i.e.

my_base* p = object_cast<my_base*>(my_class(), adopt(result));

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!