Nice collection of articles someone may find useful

Started by
5 comments, last by Verg 19 years, 8 months ago
I was googleing for something and I found this site, if you don't already know it, it may be useful. here It has articles about: Programming in C++ AI (little) Rotations in Three Dimensions OpenGL STL etc. this one has example source code on STL and Templates.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
Advertisement
The "C++" articles on that site are of generally poor quality, using things like <iostream.h>, C casts, C strings ... and generally incomplete: for example, the 'functions' tutorial doesn't even address the fundamental pass-by-value vs. pass-by-reference issue. The code samples are rough and confused.

The OGL/DX comparison is woefully out of date. Heck, the GL code even relies on GLaux... how's that for old? While I'm no expert, I doubt Windows will even let you use the mode 13 graphics tutorials.

This site is, in my opinion, the archetypical outdated tutorial site, misleading newbies and doing damage that take endless explanations to correct.

This is why I give it three thumbs down: .
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Spot on review Fruny. It's a shame but it's true.

Thanks owl for letting us know though. I love having good resources available, as you might have noticed by the numerous links I post to places people can get good info.

Guru of the Week : Publications, Conversations and GotW
C/C++ User's Journal
objectmentor.org
Angelika Langer (new one for me[smile])
STL documentation

and of course

[google]
wow, I didn't go through the c++ tutorials myself. I should be more careful in the future before posting. Fortunately there is more than that in that list.

Is the sample source code on STL that bad also? They look like examples from a book.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
Mode 13h is good to have for historical curiosity and in case I ever dig a 486dx33 out of the dumpster again...
Quote:Original post by owl
Is the sample source code on STL that bad also? They look like examples from a book.

The STL examples from your second link come from the book which I consider THE C++ library reference: Nicolai Josuttis' "The C++ Standard Library - A Tutorial and Reference".

Three thumbs up , so, I guess that it all cancels out. [grin]
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Quote:Original post by Fruny
Quote:Original post by owl

The STL examples from your second link come from the book which I consider THE C++ library reference: Nicolai Josuttis' "The C++ Standard Library - A Tutorial and Reference".

Three thumbs up , so, I guess that it all cancels out. [grin]

Agreed. Actually reading that book now. The second chapter, section 2.2 is worth the price of the book in its explanation of what was recently added to the standard.
my_life:          nop          jmp my_life
[ Keep track of your TDD cycle using "The Death Star" ] [ Verge Video Editor Support Forums ] [ Principles of Verg-o-nomics ] [ "t00t-orials" ]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement