How could I write a bot (in C#) ?

Started by
4 comments, last by firefly2442 19 years, 8 months ago
Hello everyone this is my first post here.I am thinking of getting invlolved with Artificial Intelligence in games and make a bot that will log on the game as a player and play the game with no or little prior knowhow of it. I am thinking of making this with C# and would like very much for anyone to post suggestions and maybe resources on the net as well as books. Also I would like to ask what librabies I should consider using.Iknow thatt if you are aiming in Windows you must use DirectX but if I want the game to be multi platform whta should I use ? Thanx a lot :) Edit: Changed title - Fruny. [Edited by - Fruny on August 3, 2004 7:12:30 AM]
Advertisement
Man, you are aiming awfully high for a first time AI project. The concept you describe - a bot that could be thrown into a game with little or no knowledge - is one of the holy grails of AI programming. It's kind of an impossible dream.

I would suggest to get started that you do some searches on gamedev for bot articles and posts and see where that leads you. If you are familiar with C#, go ahead and use that, but it sounds like you may have alot to learn before you can attempt anything like this.
oh hai
My first aim would be to make some boundaries to start off with, maybe choose 5 games (simpler) that you would like to see the Bot learn about. Use that as your goal for your first draft of this bot.
Next is to make a shell of a bot that can figure out where it is and what it can do (the game, it's controls, the point of the game).
After that integrate a performanve evaluator that says how good what it is doing is.

I know those are all vague, but so is a bot that can do anything.
God bless-Gryfang
You will not need direct x. You're creating a bot, not a graphical client (ie: the game).

The first thing you will need to do is figure out how to interface the game server. Check out Halflife or counter-strike bots (google).

Once you have an interface to a game server you can start to abstract it and think about your bot.

By abstract I mean add commands in that are usefull to bots, like: How far away to the nearest enemy? Am I being shot at? Etc...

Good luck,
Will

------------------http://www.nentari.com
Thanks a lot for all the replies you guys.
Sometimes it's good to have some people tell you that you are aiming too high and that maybe you shoyld lower your goals and maybe I will re-evaluate the whole thing and see what I come up with.
But I will definetely be in touch
PodBot for Counterstrike is a good one to check out.

Check out this thesis. It's online someplace for download...

by J.M.P. van Waveren
June 28th 2001
Revision 1
University of Technology Delft
Faculty ITS

Good luck!
http://www.rivetcode.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement