[.net] UserControls - Overriding the Text property

Started by
14 comments, last by Barguast 19 years, 8 months ago
I've made a UserControl which is a simple button. I know want to override the Text property of the UserControl class so this can be used to modify what text is displayed on the button. I'm using the following code to do this:

public override string Text
{
	get { return lblText.Text; }
	set { lblText.Text = value; }
}

I can't see what is wrong with this, but whenever I draw the control on a form, the Text property doesn't show up in the list of properties (In the Form designer). Am I doing something wrong?
Using Visual C++ 7.0
Advertisement
You need to add an attribute to your property ( most likely this is already set to false in the baseclass, so you need to reset it to true for your derived class ).

[Browsable(true)]
public override string Text
{
get { return lblText.Text; }
set { lblText.Text = value; }
}

EDIT: Although it worked (the property does show up in the list) the value reverts back to the default value whenever I compile the program. Originally, the text just says 'Flat Button' (the name of the control), I can change this to 'OK' in the properties list but when I compile it changes back to 'Flat Button' again. I notice that when I change the property the appropriate code is not inserted into the InitializeComponent function like it does with the other properties. Any idea what the problem might be this time?

Can anyone recommend a good online resource where I can read up on attributes? MSDN's a given, but I use that mostly for reference.

Thanks!

[Edited by - Barguast on August 4, 2004 7:28:05 AM]
Using Visual C++ 7.0
My latest problem seems to be caused by overriding the Text property. For example, if I use a property called caption instead:
public string Caption{	get { return this.Text; }	set { this.Text = value; this.Invalidate (); }}

Then everything works fine. Notice that this is just accessing the Text property. But if I overload the Text property (which I should, and want to do) as demonstrated by the following then the Text property won't retain its value.
[Browsable(true)]public string override Text{	get { return this.Text; }	set { this.Text = value; this.Invalidate (); }}

Does anyone know how I can solve this problem?
Using Visual C++ 7.0
Hrm, can you give us a code paste of your control? Because I just put together a quick test and it worked fine.

In time the project grows, the ignorance of its devs it shows, with many a convoluted function, it plunges into deep compunction, the price of failure is high, Washu's mirth is nigh.

Ha, this just gets worse and worse. As I was changing the property back from 'Caption' to 'Text' I got some StackOverflow error when it tried to draw the control - I managed to solve it by using base.Text instead of this.text, as shown.
[Browsable(true)]public override string Text{	get { return base.Text; }	set { base.Text = value; this.Invalidate (); }}

HOWEVER, this hasn't got anything (I think?) to do with my problem, I just a little curious why it happened.

The code is:
using System;using System.Collections;using System.ComponentModel;using System.Drawing;using System.Drawing.Drawing2D;using System.Data;using System.Windows.Forms;namespace Custom.Windows.Forms{	// CLASS : FlatButton	// ==================	// A custom button control	public class FlatButton : UserControl	{		private Container components = null;		private int m_ColourTint = 0;		private Color m_Colour1 = Color.WhiteSmoke;		private Color m_Colour2 = Color.FromArgb (220, 220, 220);		private Color m_BorderColour = Color.DarkGray;		// Default Constructor		public FlatButton ()		{			InitializeComponent();			this.Text = "Flat Button";		}		// Dispose		protected override void Dispose (bool bDisposing)		{			if (bDisposing)			{				if (components != null)					components.Dispose ();			}			base.Dispose (bDisposing);		}		#region Component Designer generated code		/// <summary>		/// Required method for Designer support - do not modify 		/// the contents of this method with the code editor.		/// </summary>		private void InitializeComponent()		{			// 			// FlatButton			// 			this.Name = "FlatButton";			this.Size = new System.Drawing.Size(88, 24);			this.MouseUp += new System.Windows.Forms.MouseEventHandler(this.FlatButton_MouseUp);			this.Paint += new System.Windows.Forms.PaintEventHandler(this.FlatButton_Paint);			this.MouseEnter += new System.EventHandler(this.FlatButton_MouseEnter);			this.MouseLeave += new System.EventHandler(this.FlatButton_MouseLeave);			this.MouseDown += new System.Windows.Forms.MouseEventHandler(this.FlatButton_MouseDown);			this.Layout += new System.Windows.Forms.LayoutEventHandler(this.FlatButton_Layout);		}		#endregion		// *** EVENTS ***					// Paint Events		private void FlatButton_Paint (object sender, System.Windows.Forms.PaintEventArgs e)		{			Graphics g = e.Graphics;			// Define the gradient colour			int R1, G1, B1, R2, G2, B2;			R1 = ValidateColourComponent (TopColour.R + ColourTint);			G1 = ValidateColourComponent (TopColour.G + ColourTint);			B1 = ValidateColourComponent (TopColour.B + ColourTint);			R2 = ValidateColourComponent (BottomColour.R + ColourTint);			G2 = ValidateColourComponent (BottomColour.G + ColourTint);			B2 = ValidateColourComponent (BottomColour.B + ColourTint);			Color Colour1 = Color.FromArgb (R1, G1, B1);			Color Colour2 = Color.FromArgb (R2, G2, B2);;			// Draw the gradient			g.FillRectangle (new LinearGradientBrush				(this.ClientRectangle, Colour1, Colour2, LinearGradientMode.Vertical),				this.ClientRectangle);			// Measure the text string			SizeF StringSize = new SizeF ();			StringSize = g.MeasureString (Text, this.Font);			// Calculate the position of the string			int X, Y;			X = (int)(this.ClientSize.Width - StringSize.Width) / 2;			Y = (int)(this.ClientSize.Height - StringSize.Height) / 2;            			// Draw the string			g.DrawString (Text, this.Font, new SolidBrush (this.ForeColor), X, Y);				// Draw the border			g.DrawRectangle (new Pen (this.BorderColour, 1), 				new Rectangle (0, 0, this.ClientSize.Width - 1, this.ClientSize.Height - 1));		}		// This function is used by FlatButton_Paint		private int ValidateColourComponent (int val)		{			if (val < 0)				val = 0;			else if (val > 255)				val = 255;			return val;		}		// Mouse Enter events		private void FlatButton_MouseEnter(object sender, System.EventArgs e)		{			ColourTint = 10;		}		// Mouse Leave events		private void FlatButton_MouseLeave(object sender, System.EventArgs e)		{			ColourTint = 0;		}		// Mouse Down events		private void FlatButton_MouseDown(object sender, System.Windows.Forms.MouseEventArgs e)		{			ColourTint = -10;		}		// Mouse Up events		private void FlatButton_MouseUp(object sender, System.Windows.Forms.MouseEventArgs e)		{			ColourTint = 0;		}		// Layout events		private void FlatButton_Layout(object sender, System.Windows.Forms.LayoutEventArgs e)		{			this.Invalidate ();		}		// *** PROPERTIES ***		[Browsable(true)]		public override string Text		{			get { return base.Text; }			set { base.Text = value; this.Invalidate (); }		}				[Browsable(true)]		public Color TopColour		{			get { return m_Colour1; }			set { m_Colour1 = value; this.Invalidate (); }		}		[Browsable(true)]		public Color BottomColour		{			get { return m_Colour2; }			set { m_Colour2 = value; this.Invalidate (); }		}		[Browsable(true)]		public Color BorderColour		{			get { return m_BorderColour; }			set { m_BorderColour = value; this.Invalidate (); }		}		private int ColourTint		{			get { return m_ColourTint; }			set { m_ColourTint = value; this.Invalidate (); }		}	}}

To demonstrate my problem:
- Draw the control onto a Form (The text should initially say 'flatButton1' for some reason - it should say 'Flat Button')
- Edit the Text property so it says something else (e.g. "OK")
- Compile the project

Now the text property should change to 'Flat Button'. This doesn't happen if I create a property myself called 'Caption' which does the exact same thing.

Thanks!

EDIT: Nevermind the first half of this post - I worked it out and I really should have realised in the first place!
EDIT AGAIN: I should point out that working the first part out has -not- solved my problem!

[Edited by - Barguast on August 4, 2004 4:17:35 PM]
Using Visual C++ 7.0
Works for me :P

In time the project grows, the ignorance of its devs it shows, with many a convoluted function, it plunges into deep compunction, the price of failure is high, Washu's mirth is nigh.

Are you sure that it stays the same even if you change the Text property to, for example, 'OK' and THEN recompile? It's at that point that the property changes back to 'Flat Button' as shown in your screenshot...
Using Visual C++ 7.0
Ok, fixed it

You need to change it to:
		[DesignerSerializationVisibility(DesignerSerializationVisibility.Visible), Bindable(true), Browsable(true), EditorBrowsable(EditorBrowsableState.Always)]		public override string Text {			get { return base.Text; }			set { base.Text = value; this.Invalidate (); }		}

Because by default it is:

[DesignerSerializationVisibility(DesignerSerializationVisibility.Hidden), Bindable(false), Browsable(false), EditorBrowsable(EditorBrowsableState.Never)]public override string Text{      get      {            return base.Text;      }      set      {            base.Text = value;      }}

THOSE DAMNED ATTRIBUTES. AGAIN!

I really do need to read up on those because all of my problems with C# have been down to these. Can you tell me of any good places I can read up on them?

And thank you, thank you, thank you for solving this problem!
Using Visual C++ 7.0

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement