Sign in to follow this  
flyingpenguin9200

Online Game Development Schools

I have been doing some research on online game development schools and I have found a couple. www.Gameversity.com www.GameInstitute.com I was wondering what anyone knows about these schools...does anyone like one over the other? Does anyone know of any others they would recommend? GameInstitute seems like it is of a higher quality, but it is also more expensive per course. I would just like more info about these and any other online schools and to get some feedback from people who have taken some courses so I know which one (if any) I should choose. Thanks, David

chadmv    645
I've taken a course or two from each place. I think the GameInstitute class was a little easier to follow. The accompanying demos were pretty cool. The audio lectures are pretty pointless as they just read off the paragraph thats right on the screen. But the material explains the subject quite well. The readings are accompanied by lab/work books which make you implement what you have learned. The tests are pretty weak as they're just little multiple choice questions. The forums there are pretty dead though, mostly I think because you have to use a time block that lasts a week in order to post. And since you only get about 8-10 blocks/course, I always felt like it was a waste to use one for one question/post. But when you do post, they're pretty fast in responding. The chats are also pretty helpful too.

The Gameversity class had the approach of presenting a bunch of functionality of a graphics engine, then having you go through the DirectX SDK and do some exercises based on the material. Some of the material was a little confusing such as, "Doing it this way will let me have support for OpenGL too." Personally I think if this is the beginning graphics course, we should focus more on getting it up and running rather than worrying about multiple API support. You're also supposed to email your assignments every week to the instructor, as opposed to GameInstitute's do everything at your own pace.

Concluding, I think you could probably learn the same material by getting a book and going through the DirectX SDK (which is pretty much what these courses have you do). But it's nice having a place to ask your questions and get support (but isn't that what this place is for?). I guess being enrolled in a class does give you an extra drive to learn. If you're really intent on taking one of the classes, though, I would say GameInstitute because the classes come with a nifty level editor and they're about to release their second course in the DirectX 9 series, which should create some nice excitement. :)

-Chad