Is anyone really using Managed DirectX?

Started by
9 comments, last by Dark_Nebula 19 years, 8 months ago
Just to sort things out, I do *not* intend to start another C++ vs C# flame war with this thread. Please keep things that way:) I have been playing around with the managed API for some time and I'm quite pleased with the results so far. It's so simple so that I can focus my mind on stuff like engine design, smart scene management, etc. And now when the new summer update is out, the docs are ok too:) Out of curiosity I wonder if other people are using it? Are you hobbyists or even professionals using it for your projects or parts of a project? What's your 2 cent's on the subject? EDIT: removed some ugly white-space :/
Advertisement
I'm using it.

Arena Wars is using it.

It's allowed me to keep track of all my lines of code. This is the longest I have been able to continue a project and I attribute it to the cleaner syntax of C#. The event system makes it so much easier to work with lost devices.

[Edited by - Raloth on August 3, 2004 10:52:44 AM]
____________________________________________________________AAAAA: American Association Against Adobe AcrobatYou know you hate PDFs...
I am using it an loving it. I have tried to do unmanaged DX, but I have always had trouble with Win32 (I learned to program in VB). Managed code definately lets you worry about game related problems, rather than problems like memory leaks and other things inherent to lower level programming. It also is much faster to develop in for small projects. I can get a textured mesh spinning on the screen in about 10 minutes.

I am not aware of any commercial games that were made with managed DX (there are probably a few), but there are lots of free/shareware games. It will probably take a while for developers to start using managed code. It is a big transition.
Sean Henley [C++ Tutor]Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
I'm using it in a couple of smaller projects. It's very nice.

Former Microsoft XNA and Xbox MVP | Check out my blog for random ramblings on game development

I'm using it for my engine. It's cool!
Have fun BunnzPunch'n'Crunch
One of the advantages is that every time a new .NET compiler comes out, your code just gets faster!
At work, I use C# to develop GUI's and make point-of-sale systems. IMO, it's an incredibly fast RAD tool (like VB), and a very powerful and capable language (like C++).

I plan on using it for all my tools and level editors. However, my core engine is still in C++. AFAIK, there are numerous commercial projects out there that are using C# and Managed DX. Although these aren't AAA titles, they still are professionaly-developed games.
Dustin Franklin ( circlesoft :: KBase :: Mystic GD :: ApolloNL )
I'm using C# for scripting, and managed C++ as an intermediate layer between the C++ code and C#, but I haven't touched managed DX yet.

The way I see it, it's just a small wrapper around the COM objects that I can get to natively in C++. There is a performance difference (though not a significant one), and it's not any harder to just write in C++ -- so I stick with that.

I do the scripting in C#, though, because it's extrmely powerful, and yet extremely safe as well.

---------------------------Hello, and Welcome to some arbitrary temporal location in the space-time continuum.

I'm using it for my engine. I wrote a 2d engine in C++ before and this is much, much easier. The code is very clean. Im also getting a decent framerate.
I'm using it and love it. Then again, I can't stand C++. But even without the language argument I'm finding myself prefering MDX to OGL. If only it was cross-platform..

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement