best sound library?

Started by
3 comments, last by Scrime 19 years, 8 months ago
I know this is very much a matter of opinion, but what in your opinion is the best well-documented sound library to use with SDL? I say well-documented because I tried to use SDL_Mixer, but I couldn't really find any tutorials on it online
Advertisement
Hi.
I'm using FMOD.
You can find a bunch of tutorials on the website, along with the API reference. There is also some tutorials on the net, even right here on gamedev :)
By the way, i like their vision of license.
Hope that will help you.
I'm going to second that recomendation for FMOD. They have built in support for a lot of formats, the API is fairly simple, and the licensing is reasonable as well.

We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of the dreams. - WonkaAsking Smart Questions | BookPool
ok, I've downloaded fmod and included libfmod.a (I'm using Dev-C++), fmod.h, fmod_errors.h, fmoddyn.h, and fmod.dll in my project folder, and included fmod.h in my project...but it doesn't work...when I put -lfmod in the "Further object files or linker options" box in project options, it can't find it...(linker error: cannon open -lfmod: No such file or directory). What am I doing wrong?

EDIT: lol reworded so it didn't sound like I actually included all those files in my #includes
I believe the library filename that you are using is "libfmod.a", so of course if you are trying to link to "fmod" its not going to work.

Try linking to "libfmod" instead (-llibfmod). Also, make sure you've set the library directories to somewhere that libfmod.a can be found.
We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of the dreams. - WonkaAsking Smart Questions | BookPool

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement