doom3 file format specs?

Started by
20 comments, last by Sneftel 19 years, 8 months ago
Hi, as with the release doom3 are there already any specs or example sources for the different file formats used in doom3? I don't mean the standard graphics or sound file formats but nonstandard id file formats. I'm especially interested in the level file format (quake .bsp equivalent of doom3). Exist there something about that already?
Advertisement
It was about 6 months after Q3 was released before people knew how to load the levels. I'd expect the same here.

---------------------------Hello, and Welcome to some arbitrary temporal location in the space-time continuum.

But Q3 levels were binary, Doom3 ones seem to be text ;)

Around the time of the shady leaked alpha, some of the clever folks on the opengl.org forums had parsed the file formats and loaded the data into their own renderers. The files structure might have changed since then, but I still think it'll all be text (I seem to remember Carmack going on about banishing binary file formats apart from stuff like images & sound).

-Mezz
text files?

perhaps because it was a leaked alpha!? I mean what advantage would a text format have over a binary format that would justify the slower loading/saving?

Has anybody definite infos on this? Text or binary? If text: XML or proprietary format?
Quote:Original post by valoh
text files?

perhaps because it was a leaked alpha!? I mean what advantage would a text format have over a binary format that would justify the slower loading/saving?

Has anybody definite infos on this? Text or binary? If text: XML or proprietary format?

Nope.. I checked. The game packages are called pak###.pk4 and are zip files with a different extension.
pak000.pk4 -> maps, gui, videos, fx etc
pak001.pk4 -> dds (dds textures)
pak002.pk4 -> models
pak003.pk4 -> sound
pak004.pk4 -> textures

In the maps folder in the zip file (pak000.pk4/maps/game) there are 3-5 files fore each map (example: admin.cm, *.map, *.proc, *.aas48, *.aas96). All of these files are text files.
*.cm is the collision model, *.map contains texture/surface info (no position data) and *.proc contains models. (This may be incorrect - I just looked quickly through some of the files).

Most models are of the md5 format and is also text based. There are some .LWO (binary Lightwave objects) files though, but I'm not sure if they're used or low poly mockups. I looked at some of them and they looked extremely low poly and not at all like they do in the game.

I don't think it will take 6 months before someone figures out these file formats :)

EDIT: some more info and changed some stuff for readability.

[Edited by - frostburn on August 3, 2004 4:11:12 PM]
Quote:Original post by Etnu
It was about 6 months after Q3 was released before people knew how to load the levels. I'd expect the same here.

Actually, I was able to load the levels within 2 weeks after the first release of Q3Test. Though I wasn't loading them, I was saving them, i.e. converting Quake 2 levels to Q3Test levels. [razz]
I know that md5 models(doom) are ascii and i think them aps are.
I think a few years ago Carmack stated he was going with a text based map format for Doom3 rather than a binary one, so if thats what was done, then it is not surprising.

Notepad anyone? =P

-=[ Megahertz ]=-
-=[Megahertz]=-
Doom 3 models are in .md5mesh format, which is plain text. In Doom 3 Alpha MD5Version was 6, in the release it's 10, which is slightly different.
[size="1"]Perl - Made by Idiots, Java - Made for Idiots, C++ - Envied by Idiots | http://sunray.cplusplus.se
I don't understand why you'd go with a plain text format for things like 3D models in a final version of a game. They'll be a billion times the size, and be a billion times slower to load. If you really want people to be able to mod your games easily, why not release the file format specs with the game?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement