Sign in to follow this  
_Flecko

DX Debug in 9.0c managed?

_Flecko    196
Just about the time DX 9.0c came out, I was trying to get DX debugging to work. I switched to the debug version in the control panel and checked debug shaders, but it didn't work. I found out that there was supposed to be something called "DirectX Extensions for Visual Studio .NET" in the installer, and tried to reinstall, but no such option existed (there was even a screenshot where it should be). I installed 9.0c. Still no VS.NET extensions, and now the control panel icon is gone, so I don't even know how to switch to the debug version. The DX docs don't help, and the VS.NET docs are a) referring to an older version of DX, and b) referring to the C++ flavor, not the managed one, so the information is useless. Has anyone else been able to get managed debugging working in VS.NET? How did you do it? Thanks, Max

Mezz    571
May seem obvious, but did you uninstall the old SDKs before trying to put on the new ones?

-Mezz

_Flecko    196
I did not. I assumed the existing installation would be detected as it always has been, and I wanted to keep the old DLLs and samples anyway.

DrunkenHyena    805
Installing SDKs over previous installations has never been supported. Additionally, when you have the SDK installed you should not install an updated runtime.

Uninstall your SDK(s)
Reboot
Install the new Summer 2004 SDK
Reboot

All should be fine.

BTW, when using Managed DX you need to set Enable Unmanaged Debugging in the properties of your project. Without it you won't get debug output.