Question on what I should learn

Started by
3 comments, last by snk_kid 19 years, 8 months ago
I'm interrested in making a small 2 player shooter game, with a few computer characters involved as well. Now what coding aspects would be absolutely necessary for me to create this. As I'm learning I'm see a few things I think I might not really need to know. Also, would what I'm trying to do be out of reach for a beginner project once I've learnt what I need to do it? Thanks.
Advertisement
you need to further describe what exactly it is that you whant to do:

3d or 2d?
hotseat or network?
etc..
2d, I'm pretty sure by hotseat you mean both at one comp? Yes that's what I want. a 2d game where you run around on a single screened game (not split) and try to shoot the other guys. Maybe you have to reload after 5 bullets too :P
I will assume you are experienced with c++, because i truthfully dont knwo your level
1. scene graphs are very nice, and a good speed boost, i believe the industry is leaning more towards octrees nowadays (or at least indy gamdevers)

2. 3d math (assuming you are wanting to do a 3d shooter, if not youll need some trig still)

3. a good entity management system, i devised a decent one on my own im sure you could do the same

4. resource management

5. knowledge of a graphics API, either openGL or d3d (for a 3d game, though both can be used very well for 2d games as well), many newer developers like SDL for its ease of use, but its limited to 2d (there are ways to make it use openGL along side sdl, but i dont know anything about that

6. assuming your targeting windows platforms, youll need to know very basic win32 API, mfc (yuck), .NET, or last but not least, sdl, sdl will handle windows creation for you according to some people ive talked to, yet another reason to use it, i personally dont like it because it does too much for you (im jsut a stubborn asshole though)

7. classes AND polymorphism, or at the very least, function pointers and structures, but classes and polymorphism is so much less hacked, it looks a ton nicer too

EDIT:

ah, 2d, singlescren, ill leave those other things up for the hell of it, but if its singlescreen, you probably wont need a scene graph, and not much in the way of resource and entity management, youll need to know some way to get input, be it sdl (i dunno if it does input or not) directx, or even using win32's built in mouse and keyboard support (i dont reccomend using win32)

hope that helps a bit
-Dan
When General Patton died after World War 2 he went to the gates of Heaven to talk to St. Peter. The first thing he asked is if there were any Marines in heaven. St. Peter told him no, Marines are too rowdy for heaven. He then asked why Patton wanted to know. Patton told him he was sick of the Marines overshadowing the Army because they did more with less and were all hard-core sons of bitches. St. Peter reassured him there were no Marines so Patton went into Heaven. As he was checking out his new home he rounded a corner and saw someone in Marine Dress Blues. He ran back to St. Peter and yelled "You lied to me! There are Marines in heaven!" St. Peter said "Who him? That's just God. He wishes he were a Marine."
Quote:Original post by Ademan555
1. scene graphs are very nice, and a good speed boost, i believe the industry is leaning more towards octrees nowadays (or at least indy gamdevers)

scene graph is much higher level entity than a octree, and an octree can & usually is part of a scene graph.

2. 3d math (assuming you are wanting to do a 3d shooter, if not youll need some trig still)

There isn't really such a thing as 3D Maths, that is just a term coined at a number of subjects of maths such as linear algebra, trigonometry, geometry, calculus, discrete maths (set theory, boolean algebra etc) and more.

3. a good entity management system, i devised a decent one on my own im sure you could do the same

A scene graph usually is your entity system.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement