Resetting streams... (I think...)

Started by
6 comments, last by NewbJ 19 years, 8 months ago
This came up awhile ago, but it didn't really get answered (it was just tacked onto the end of another thing)...does anyone know how to reset (I think that' what it's called) a stream, specifically a file stream? I was told I needed to do this if I was going to input the file to an int rather than a char. example:
int number;
file >> number; 
if there's a better way to do this without resetting the stream (or whatever it's called), I'd be happy to hear about those, but for what I'm doing I think I do need it to be an int. thanks!
Advertisement
Are you trying to do error recovery?
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Are you trying to mix binary and ASCII information in one file?
______________________________________________________________________________________The Phoenix shall arise from the ashes... ThunderHawk -- ¦þ"So. Any n00bs need some pointers? I have a std::vector<n00b*> right here..." - ZahlmanMySite | Forum FAQ | File Formats______________________________________________________________________________________
neither...the problem is actually far less complicated than that...I have a file that looks like this:

1 Question$Answer$data/images/img.bmp$
2 Qusetion2$Answer2$data/images/img2.bmp$
..etc...

I have to search for a number in the file...searching for single characters is cool...but once I get to 10, it just sees the 1 and considers the 0 part of the question...
Ah. You have to save the position of the get pointer with ftellg(), read the number (with >>, which will read as much as it can), and then restore the position with fseekg()
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
thanks...I've looked up tellg() and seekg() & what they do, but I still don't really get how that would work...could I have an example please?
#include <fstream>#include <string>std::ifstream ifs("filename.txt);int number;while(!ifs.eof()){   std::ifstream::pos_type checkpoint = ifs.tellg();   ifs >> number;   ifs.seekg(checkpoint);    if (number==750)  // for example   {      std::string line;      std::getline(ifs, line);      // The line *will* include the number "750"      // Do stuff with the line   }   else       ifs.ignore(numeric_limits<int>::max()); // skip to the next line}

Or is that not what you were trying to do (I didn't quite understand what you mean by 'reset')
yeah, I wasn't sure what word to use, but I *think* that's what I want to do...basically I couldn't do it by just plain inputting because (for reasons beyond my knowledge) it would get stuck on just the first number

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement