Sign in to follow this  
Slaru

Quaternions with a camera

Hello, I am implementing a quaternion camera. First off, does anyone know a good site with a tutorial on quaternions or quaternion cameras other than NEHE and Gametutorials.com ? Ok, my question is, I have three quaternions as members of my class. They represent the pitch, yaw, and roll rotations. When I multiply them together, how do I know which order to do it in? Since the multiplication of quaternions isn't commutitive, then is there a way of knowing what the result will be and which order to do it in? Second, going off the tutorial on NEHE on quaternion cameras, the author creates a matrix out of the pitch rotation quaternion. He goes on to use the 9th entry for the y coordinate of the direction vector. He then multiplies the pitch and heading rotation quaternions and creates a matrix out of the result. He uses the 8th entry for the x coordinate of the direction vector and the 10th entry for the y coordinate. Could someone explain the math behind this? EDIT: Do you think I am allowed to post the code snippet from the NEHE camera tut to make things clearer if they aren't?

Guest Anonymous Poster
I use one quat to represent the rotation of the camera, then apply rotations to that as and when they occur. This is usually done by creating a 'delta' quat from YawPitchRoll angles.

To render the frame, I construct a matrix from the updated rotation quat and apply it to the reference view vector.

Not sure if this is the best way, but it works for me.