Sign in to follow this  
capn_midnight

[java] Showdown IRC

capn_midnight    1707
Showdown IRC I began writing this game as a basic network play game, in which two people trade IP addresses and then duel each other over the internet. This became extremely cumbersome and so I began implementing a lobby server. Half way through that process, I scrapped the custom lobby server idea and integrated the game into an IRC client. So now, here it is, in the best version so far. It connects to the Afternet chat network by default, and I haven't worried about adding more servers to the server list or enabling the user to input their own list. Usually, I have a #showdown channel open, so if you find someone in there, you can challenge them to a duel. I'm planning on writing a chatbot that monitors the activity of the channel to keep statistics on the gunslingers. This was an unpredicted benefit of building the "lobby" on top of an IRC channel, I can extend the capabilities of the lobby with chatbots. Try it out, run two instances if you have to and challenge yourself. I actually suggest you do that first so you can have a chance to practice. The gameplay takes a little getting used to, which was planned, to make the duels take a little more skill that point-and-click.