Sign in to follow this  
LMRFUD

Make new friends and progress in games programming II

Hi I know I should have posted in the other thread but I wanted to make my own plea for people not necessarily to make a team but to be in contact with and work with on the same goal. I am ONLY interested in 2D stuff, no 3D in my world. I like scrolling space shooters and games like Rick Dangerous (if you don’t know what that is ask Goggle), I want to make a team in the long run but I feel you need to get to know people over time and exchange code and ideas along the same line and move forward from there. I’m already having a conversation with one person I’ve gotten to know well and we both use the same book which helps while were learning. So what we both want to do is make a simple 2D game, as simple as possible, work out any flow, graphics, timing etc issues we may have. It should be fun to learn and learn from each other especially because programming alone really sucks. A bit about me, I’ve done most of my programming in C and started with basic, gone to ASM and then C. I started to write my own game in C but ran in to barriers when it came in to math and other things. I wrote my own draw program for my games and it’s available at my web site: http://webhome.idirect.com/~frankg/interests/programming/progpage.html I hope I get people to contact me via MSN, AIM, or ICQ. I hope to make learning fun and exciting and we get to play too. MSN: rockstarbikes@hotmail.com AIM: LordFudster ICQ: 462941 Thank You LMRFUD

THAT AWESOME OTHER C Programmers. That's Perfect i am a C programmer too, and i used SDL for my game engine. i am working on this comercial game right now. CHeck it Out HERE
http://www.geocities.com/nlstudio_us/

I love the idea of sticking to 2D games, and collaborating sounds fun, except I program in c++. I'm sorry I just like OOP. But I'm still interested in where this goes and maybe how I can help.

email:knowledge3754@yahoo.com
AIM:knowledge3754

I would also love to join this, but I have a question: What would we use for our 2D drawing and stuff? DirectDraw? SDL?
My AIM SN is: <deleted>
My E-Mail address is: <deleted>

[Edited by - CodeTitan on January 3, 2005 2:41:13 PM]

I think I started on the wrong foot, based on the response I've received some good and some bad you need to understand that starting a "TEAM" is a big task and I don't think we need to add any additional stress to programming.

Just so people know, you need to be calm, there are games to be created but if you don't get to know people before you start your just asking for trouble.

I'm all for creating what other people want too, I just think your going to find people with many different talents.

Thanks
Fud

Here is a link to my 2D engine I am working on, it's in assembler and a little buggy (not the asm part, but the rendering logistics) - it is GDI.

http://drarem.ms11.net/tiletest.zip

I'm up for helping out if i can, i know some C/C++, Python, x86 AT&T asm and some OpenGL. I agree with LMRFUD though, the important thing is to get to know each other first, not what project to start, that can come once all skills are evaluated :D

Well it is and isn't about ability, when you talk to people they can be very nice and understanding and willing to listen to what the plan might be. Others just want to have a game tomorrow and they want code results and are way over the top. All they seem to care about is getting their name on the credits of the game than making one.

I don't have the time to listen to you ramble on AIM or MSN me every 2 seconds when I step away from my computer. I know that sounds harsh but people take this seriously.

I'm not difficault to get along with, ask anyone who actually talked to me. I have ideas, it doesn't mean do it my way or else. I'm very flexible, but I want to do DirectX with graphics and a 2d game. Please don't ask me to do a text RPG, that's nothing I want to do.

Thanks Again
Fud

Quote:
Original post by LMRFUD
I'm not difficault to get along with, ask anyone who actually talked to me. I have ideas, it doesn't mean do it my way or else. I'm very flexible, but I want to do DirectX with graphics and a 2d game. Please don't ask me to do a text RPG, that's nothing I want to do.

He is pretty easy to talk to(I know). And if you're looking to make a text-rpg, come here. We're still very much in the beginning stages of creating one. Sorry about stealing people from your thread LMRFUD but it seems you dont want them anyway.[/joke]

You guys thought about making an IRC channel on one of the open source networks? That way you can all join/idle when you want, participate as you want, listen to others and discuss things.