[.net] Why use the .Net Framework

Started by
14 comments, last by Promit 19 years, 8 months ago
Quote:Early version of Windows XP is shipped with .NET Framework 1.0 installed (I don't know the later version, maybe they include 1.1). So if you develop your application for .NET Framework 1.0, your applications are guaranteed to run on any PC running Windows XP (regardless of how old it is).

For the record, Windows XP never included the .Net Framework. .Net 1.0 was released Feb 2002, while XP was released in Oct 2001.

Users must download the Microsoft .NET Framework Version 1.1 Redistributable Package here.
Advertisement
A large percentage of the source code written for the next version of the Windows OS, codenamed Longhorn, is managed code. Roughly 90 percent of the code is managed, according to a MSDN TV episode. The Longhorn SDK is a superset of the .NET Framework. So you can be safely assured that .NET is the future--Microsoft is betting their next OS on it.
Windows XP has been shipping with .NET 1.1 for a long time, now. You're not going to get it in the retail versions, but OEM copies are a go, yo.
Since nobody else seems to be saying it, no, there aren't any other reasonable non-download options at the moment.
No Excuses
Quote:Original post by markr
A practical reason NOT to use it might be "I don't want people to have to download a 20+mb framework to play my 500k shareware game"

Mark

How big is DirectX 9, and which versions of Windows is it included with out of the box?
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
How big is DirectX 9

Quote:
File Name: dxwebsetup.exe

Download Size: 10 KB - 166666 KB

Uh...hard to say.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement