Sign in to follow this  
feiyurainy

what is the differences between REF and softwarevertexprocessing

Hi, I know if my card don't support one feature in Dx, I can change to REF to run the program for example,my card don't support vertex shader,so I change to REF,the program can run,and I change to D3DCREATE_SOFTWARE_VERTEXPROCESSING ,the program can run too, so I want to know what is the differences between REF and softwarevertexprocessing. thank you

Software vertex processing just runs the vertex shaders / FFP on the cpu instead of the GPU. This is useful in many situations, and doesn't have the performance penalties of REF. Software vertex processing can always be done.

the REF rasterizer is a complete software renderer. I believe it may even go so far as to use the GDI for blitting. It's only available when the SDK is installed, as there is no redistributable version of REFRAST.

The REF topic is well explained in the Forum FAQ. In short: It's only used for testing purposes (during development).
Software vertex processing can (and should) be used on cards that can't do what you want in hardware, but can be done in software fast enough (i.e. the CPU makes a lot of the calculations instead of the GPU)