Sign in to follow this  
n0ob

C++ Win32: Closing process with handle from ShellExecute..

Hi, I'm trying to close an EXE that I run from another program. The first program opens the second one with ShellExecute, and I store the handle: HINSTANCE hserv = ShellExecute(0,"open","server.exe",params,0,SW_SHOWMINNOACTIVE); Then, I wish to close it later. I was wondering what function to use. I have tried a few already, but they just aint' workin :P Thanks for any info! [Edited by - n0ob on August 4, 2004 10:49:44 AM]

Look into CloseHandle and CreateProcess. CreateProcess might be better for you if you are launching child programs from your program.

Easiest way to do close a program would probably be...

SendMessage(handle, WM_CLOSE, 0, 0); // WM_CLOSE / WM_DESTROY
/ ...
Hope that helped

Yeeeahh... ShellExecute returns an HINSTANCE, ... And I really don't want to figure out how to use CreateProcess. I don't see a way to store a handle to what I'm creating.. or whatever.. I obviously don't know enough about that. There has to be a simpler way. THis shouldn't be a hard question people o_^

You can also use ShellExecuteEx to start the program and get the process handle to it. ShellExecute does not return a handle of any use (other than to test for an error condition).

Ihad a similiar problem when I wanted to spawn a console app, then wait until it quits. I gave in and switched from ShellExecute to CreateProcess (as nts suggests) and it all works great now.

I suggest you bite the bullet and do the same.