Enginuity

Started by
8 comments, last by evolutional 19 years, 8 months ago
Does anyone else find the pic found at this link http://www.gamedev.net/reference/programming/features/enginuity2/layout.gif as difficult to look at as i do. I cant figure out whether my engine follws this kind of structure, but then i also cant figure out what sorta code is depicted by each part of it. Can anyone elaborate on this please? regards ace
Advertisement
Its actually really hard to look at that chart and understand it, but I found that by reading ALL of the articles, each is explained in turn. Most everything is an object, and the lines between the objects depicts an aggregation.
It's fairly simple if you understand what it's talking about. I never studied computers or electronics formally so I don't know what type of diagram it is (system diagram?).

Start at the application entry point and follow into the kernel, the kernel creates and manages the tasks you see, which in turn are controlled by the current app state. The app state is dictated by the client/server systems which can talk to each other either through a local or remote communications interface (the lightning strikes//big remote comms arrows). The user application can trigger/receive event messages which affect the C/S operations. The game state has client/server components which deal with the respective c/s services respectively and finally the host application controls the game state.

I don't know if this is how it's meant to be read, but to a layman like me this is how I read it :)
As a side note:
Doesn't the fact that the Enginuity series was the never finished suggest that this might not be the best place to look in order to learn about making games (engines). I figure that if the original author lost motivation working on the project what will happen to a person who is just trying to learn?
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach him to use the Net and he won't bother you for weeks.
well i had a look at the Quake 2 engine source and it is all client server based, but im at the stage now where all i feel i need is a reasonable corrrect explanation of the simplified structure of an engine and i could make it.

more resources needed me thinks,

im considering writing an article on my OO engine, probs get rejected though,

ace
The easiest thing to do is stop thinking 'engine' and think 'systems'. You need a system to drive the graphics, sound, input, network, etc. From there, you break each system down into smaller components, so the graphics system manages textures and models and breaks them into vertices, triangles etc to be used with the render device you're using.

So what is an engine? It's the 'glue' that keeps them all together, passing messages between them and generally keeping things running. ExtremeTech: Engine 101 - this may help you understand the concepts, along with Code on The Cob (unfinished) which IMHO explains the concepts of creating an engine in simpler terms.
Yeah ive looked at both of them, maybe i am just to focused on the "engine" word, i do have a very nice system now, different classes for the differnet main sections.

I would like to write a tutorial on this if people so wish. Its completely OO.

any takers

ace
Not to be rude - but I wouldn't rush to writing an article if you were confused about that. Try it but I don't know if you are qualified to write an article on engine programming if that chart wasn't straightforward.

Never do know though....
I'm not quite sure superpig lost interest in it.
daerid@gmail.com
More like 'is very busy'. It's hard for a pig to code and save the world from bad guys y'know [wink]

From what he posted in the Enginuity V feedback thread, he's still going at it, just trying to fix a few bugs in the Memory Manager (ooops).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement