Question for c++ and opengl user.What you use to make a window?

Started by
6 comments, last by Wysardry 19 years, 8 months ago
same with the topic, Question for c++ and opengl user.What you use to make a window? glut?win32?clanlib?others? tell me plzz and which one u feel is the best? this is my first post in this forum. :P [embarrass] sorry for any mistake.
Advertisement
Hello yewshong :-)

For the game I´m making, I use SDL, www.libsdl.org.

For "which one is the best?" can´t say really anything, sorry.
Id personally go with SDL or Win32.
If youre just starting definetely go with SDL. Otherwise it may be wise to stick with SDL as well since then your project can easily e made cross platform.
I tend to use SDL with OGL and Win32 with DX.

-CProgrammer
I use Win32 with GL, but I don't like it very much. Pretty soon I'm going to switch to SDL, once I know enough GL.
SDL works fine for me, it really helped getting started both with 2d and 3d programming, because its pretty easy to use.
Win 32 can be very confusing and draw your attention away from the importent stuff.

Pete
You can learn the basics pretty quickly over at NeHe's OpenGL tutorials. Once you've had a play with those, I think you'll have the confidence to go out and try something else, such as SDL which has already been suggested.
Third post's the charm eh yewshong?

Anyways, I've written a custom GUI wrapper that I use for creating my rendering windows. It uses Win32 on the windows platform.

In time the project grows, the ignorance of its devs it shows, with many a convoluted function, it plunges into deep compunction, the price of failure is high, Washu's mirth is nigh.

GLFW, as it is cross-platform and also reads keyboard, mouse and joystick input.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement