Sign in to follow this  
DaemonMagus

Need a good, free compiler

This is my first post and I'm here because I want to learn C++. I have a book on C++ and I've already had some practice using a compiler, but when I tried using source code later on in the book, or off the internet it wouldn't compile. I need a compiler that is guaranteed to properly compile everything while still being free. Once I get enough money I'll probably get Visual C++ but at this moment I can't buy anything.

MinGW is the windows port of the GNU C/C++ compiler which is free.

You can get several free IDEs for it; including DevC++ and MinGW Studio.

However, in my opinion you can't go wrong with the Visual C++ Toolkit 2003 compiler which is the same optimising compiler that ships with Visual Studio. You will need the Platform SDK from Microsoft though.

EDIT:

There's a whole host of free IDEs listed in this thread

Quote:
Original post by DaemonMagus
What's the difference between the Visual C++ Toolkit 2003 and the Visual C++ that comes with Visual Studio?

The Visual C++ 2003 Toolkit is the compiler only and not the IDE / MSDN documentation that you get with the Visual C++ package. If you want to use VC2003 Toolkit, you have to use the command line or link it to your own IDE.

Quote:
Original post by DaemonMagus
What's the difference between the Visual C++ Toolkit 2003 and the Visual C++ that comes with Visual Studio?

Depends on your version.
VC++ standard version is around 100€ but does not contain an
optimizing compiler, which is included in the toolkit.
So basically you get the IDE for 100 bucks and top notch compiler for free [smile].

VS 2005 will, however, be around 25$/€ to 50$/€, so
I'd suggest getting the beta version for free and buy once it's released (around March 2005).
This way you get an (almost) free IDE along ith a very good and standard compliant C++ compiler.

I got MSVC++.net 2003 STD last firday [smile](maybe it'll come today)
and my internet slow...do I have to download this or will it come with the CD?
34MB will take a week of my internet time no fair[sad]