OpenGL Performance - VBO's? Display lists?

Started by
2 comments, last by jm_hewitt 19 years, 8 months ago
I've read about increasing performance in OpenGL programs using VBO's and display lists, as well as some others that I can't remember right now. I need to group surface properties together when loading objects, so which format can I store those polys in in order to get the best performance? I read this morning that display lists are faster than VBO's - can anyone confirm this? And in display lists, do you get best performance by making calls to glBegin() and glEnd() inside the list? Any advice would be recommended. Thanks, Josh
Advertisement
display list CAN be faster than VBOs BUT the data MUST be static and can not change at all without rebuilding the list. If the data has to change at all then display lists are out of the question
It's also heavily dependant on the drivers.
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.
displays lists have been faster for me on older cards (geforce4s I think) when you have lots memory, but VBOs take up less memory and can be just as fast.

I had alot of issues getting displaylists working on an ATI Radeon 9800... it kept crashing inside the ATI dll without any error info. I now use a FX 5950, and so display lists work fine now, but I use VBOs so I can do some LOD on the data and it takes up less memory.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement