Great game idea, now I need the know how, whats the know how?

Started by
23 comments, last by gia257 19 years, 8 months ago
Alright, I have completely planned out this online trading card game, I have the rules all planned, most of the cards, and a ton of other things. Now my question is, what do I need to get this project off the ground? First, I plan on learning to program, this will be my project goal once I am done learning to program, then, I plan on getting some help, like a small team together, after I have a website, and a completed design doc. My question is, first off, how big do you experienced game developers think this project is? It is set up much like a strategy game, I don't foresee any 3d models in it, music I will compose myself, as well as most of the art, if not all of it. I plan on expanding endlesly to the game, with new cards, new game boards, exc. after it is complete, so, is this project going to take around a year? I can handle a year, but much more than that, and I will have to think things through more before starting this project. The reason I am posting is because I want to be aware of what I am getting myself into, so that way, this project doesn't collapse on me, so if anyone has suggestions, please let me know.
Advertisement
but that in your back pocket and learn C++ first.
buy some books in the "Book" Resoures right above your head (see it)I like the SAMS Books cuz there only $3 off amizon.
then make some easyer stuff like Pong or Breakout (there kinda the same)
and see what happens for there.
this card game sound cool but it'll take, well I don't know you never learn all of C++ but I say a year, maybe.
Eat food and life is yours!
If you want to learn progrmming the beginners section offers a few book to get you started.

But keep in mind that it may take you more than a year to become competent enough the begin your project (depending on the size of the project). Not mentioning the challenges involved in working with a team.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach him to use the Net and he won't bother you for weeks.
Contrary to what some other people say, don't just try 1 language; try a few. Python seems to fit your criteria nicely. You could also try out one of the .net languages, such as C#.
Good luck, bytecoder.
Perhaps you should reconsider learning to program. Programming is not something that you can learn in a weekend or even a summer vacation. Sure, in a short amount of time, you could learn how to program well enough to implement some trivial things, but implementing anything with substance will take years. Ultimately, the question is this -- what is your long term goal?
John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!
Thanks for the input, I already have some c++ books, and java, as well as a lot of other books (I went through a period of wanting to learn programming, it lasted about a month, and then I got bored a few years back, but I also didn't have any goals at the time.) I know about half of c++, but if it's going to take that much effort to learn to program to the level of this game, I don't know what I am going to do. I don't think I will be able to find some programmers to help me without being able to program myself, but yea, I would have to learn how to program involving servers and such, and I havn't even made a simple game yet. Hmm... well this puts things more in perspective, so what do you guys think I should do? I think I could push myself to learn programming, but my mind doesn't work that way as it is, so I don't know if I would be able to program a game even if I had the know how, I was planning on trying though....
try python and pygame
Do or do not, there is no try-Yoda
You won't get anywhere if you don't try. Although you may not master C++ or Java in one summer, you should be able to learn enough to create an online trading card game, if you work hard enough.
thanks, that is a good point, I actually think I am going to review my c++ today, I'll try and learn some python too,since that has been recommended. I think I have a book on that as well (I volunteered at a book fair, and they let me keep for free any book I found, I found about $1000 worth of programming books, all for free, recent, and in great condition, some never been used.)Thanks again. Are there any languages besides c++ and python, and pygame (whatever that is) that I should look into?
pygame is a library for making games in python i believe, but an invaluable resource to anyone shy on funds is a library or used book store, the books aren't always up to date, but then most languages don't break backwards compatability between versions. also your local library may have book sales, where they sell off old books, or donated unneeded books, i know i found 2 or 3 hundred dollars worth of books for a few dollars, although they didn't come with the acompanying cd rom, most programming books with cd roms only have free resources and source code on the cd rom, which you shouldn't use the source code anyways as you learn by doing. and if it is needed you can usually find a list on the website of typographical errors and what not.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement