can this chip do it?

Started by
16 comments, last by CProgrammer 19 years, 8 months ago
can this chip actually control a servo. http://www.elexp.com/tst_k805.htm The conversion time scares me, how exactly is it meant? and can it still control a servo somehow? -CProgrammer
Advertisement
You'll still have to interface to the servo, as i doubt the board can provide sufficient power directly to a motor. As to the conversion time i'm not sure exactly what is meant by it... dac or command issue latency. What exactly are you trying to do and do you want to buy a complete unit to control your servo or are you willing to build one yourself? Also by servo you mean stepper motor? or regular dc motor?

-potential energy is easily made kinetic-

With servo I dont mean the regular dc motor. The servo expects pulses between 1 and 2ms to set the angle. I figured I can power the servo with a battery and have only the third plug connected to a digital output of the chip.
If I need to buy something additionally please tell me what you have in mind.
Concerning the 20ms. Anybod know what exactly is meant.

-CProgrammer
I haven't done this for a while but i think you are describing a stepper motor. They have stepper motor controllers about that you yourself could interface to a usb chip, but then again there are also microcontrollers with a usb interface... look here for some interfacing info http://www.beyondlogic.org/. However the outputs will have to be buffered through an opto-isolater with a power transistor to actually drive the servo. IIRC there are optoisolaters with power transistors all in one integrated chip package, however that still leaves you building a board. If you don't feel like making a pcb i suggest you do a little more research since i remember there being motor controllers, both pre-built or kits available for sale. I don't know as to the price or a website, its been a while.

The thing is I already have the chip mentioned above and im hoping this chip will suffice.
If not I would offcourse still consider getting another.

-CProgrammer
The specs given on the page arent't detailed enough, however it does state it runs off usb power, so again it wouldn't be abled to run a motor directly. And its never a good idea to run an inductive load directly off circuitry not designed to do so (when the magnetic field collapses it produces a current). You will just need to stick something inbetween the board you have and the motor. A quick google came up with this page, which also has links: http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~ih/teaching/smack/

Look up the chip and the family of chips it uses and see if it is what you need. If it is it should be simple enough to interface to the board you already have.

Quote:Original post by CProgrammer
can this chip actually control a servo.
http://www.elexp.com/tst_k805.htm

The conversion time scares me, how exactly is it meant? and can it still control a servo somehow?

-CProgrammer

Only if the servo moved very slowly (1Hz or less) and it's only 8bits of resolution so you wouldn't be able to control accurately at all or would have very little dynamic range.

20ms pulses are going to be too big to control a stepper motor. You need a hard-time system to control a stepper with very predictable and controlled pulse widths.

This board doesn't close the control loop, you'd have to do it in the software running on Windows, which is never a good idea for anything that needs to respond quickly. With an NT driver and a hardware sourced interrupt you can reduce the jitter to about 5us which is good enough for many stepper motor scenarios. How far does it move in 5us? versus 20ms? (400 times less frequently!)

The chip is probably capable of controlling a stepper motor or a servo (you could use both 8bit analog IOs to get one crude 16bit IO), but you have to write assembly code that executes on micro and configure parameters from Windows over the USB bus.
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
Magmai: Ok let me get this straight. Your saying the 20ms are merely processing delay, so theoretically you can send an open and close command to the digital ouput with a width of 2ms. But this processing time is not very exact and since everything comes from the computer its even less exact. Which means you wont get good nough pulses.
I could do it by inserting some assembly code but even thats vage.
So using something like Infinisearch said. Where the chip tells another chip what pulses it should send is my best bet?

Basically now Im looking for a chip that can be connected to a digital out and can be told what kind of pulses it should send.

-CProgrammer

[Edited by - CProgrammer on August 5, 2004 4:19:09 AM]
Are you trying to hook the servo up to the digtial outputs of that board or the analog? I was assuming you were going to use the digital out since you were taking about using pulses. The chip that i mentioned looking into in this link (http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~ih/teaching/smack/) is not to control the motor, it is to drive it. You would still control the pulses with the board you already have, but you would put this chip between your board and the servo so the board doesn't get damaged. This is under the assumption that the board is capable of sending out the pulses with the proper timing, but since i don't know what the 20ms refers to my advice to you is to get the chip mentioned in the above webpage, setup the circuit and just try it out.

BTW I think the 20ms might be the latency from issuing the command in your program and it propagation through the OS, usb drivers, to the board, and finally if there is a microcontroller on the board through its local program. The main reason I think its latency is because the use of the word 'command'. Also IIRC USB 1.1's bandwidth amounts to approx 3-4 Mbs, so under the assumption that the 20ms is latency then you'll be able to send 3-4 M commands per second.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement