An ideal IDE?

Started by
16 comments, last by anonyman 19 years, 8 months ago
good ol' crimson editor, all my programming software is freeware :)
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by anonyman
Python is kind of fun to mess around with(I have Pygame installed right now actually) but it's rather limited.

EVE Online: http://www.eve-online.com/

Is an MMORPG programmed in python, if memory serves me correctly.
I got a similar problem, I have been using VB6 for a couple year now and is just about started with VC6.

I do understand C/C++ but when it comes to windows-stuff it halts.

I think it's very difficult to make apps with VC6 (Win32), I think MSDN is not a very good source to learn from..
What alternative offline-sources could I get? (I know this is a VERY stupid question to ask)

Is there any good guides/tutorials to switch from VB6 to VC6? (Would be very pleased to know)
C# is much easier to understand and work with than VC++6 or VC++ .NET. You might want to try that. There are several OpenGL libraries for C#, or, if you don't need cross-platform compatibility, you can use Managed DirectX, which should be less painful to use than the C++ DirectX API.

If you want a free IDE for C#, Google for SharpDevelop.
Thanks, I will look at it... must install C# first!

But one last thing: How fast is C#? (as C/C++?) and is C# a good platform to make games?
C# is generally slightly slower and slightly more demanding on the system than a low-level language like C++, but unless you're planning on making a Doom3 killer it won't matter a bit.
-LuctusIn the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move - Douglas Adams
If you just want to do C++ and don't want to have to mess about with the windows and MFC, use SDL :) Just because it _would_ work on other platforms doesn't mean you have to port all your code...

seriously... how easy can it get?
    Uint32 Flags = SDL_ANYFORMAT|SDL_OPENGL|SDL_HWSURFACE|SDL_DOUBLEBUF;    SDL_Init(SDL_INIT_VIDEO);    SDL_Surface * Surface = SDL_SetVideoMode(800, 640, 32, Flags));    /* ... */    SDL_Quit();

want it fullscreen? add SDL_FULLSCREEN to the flags :)
For the moment I am brushing up some more on python and probably messing with Pygame. Once I get bored with it I will probably head back into C++ and SDL. Due to some of the answers I got to this thread I decided to look deeper into Python, and I must admit it is very easy(I mean that in a good way), and would probably be a good way to practice actual programming methods without getting bogged down in syntax.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement