Sign in to follow this  
Zul

[web] CSS Printing error

I've got a big ole page of data in a table, and I'm displaying the column names vertically to save space since the data is all single digit numbers. I'm using writing-mode: tb-rl; and filter: flipv and fliph; to do the vertical text. This looks dandy on the screen, but when I go to print, the filters don't appear to be applied. What gives? Is there a way around this? I've seen many mentions of this problem through other forum searches and googling, but no one seems to have solved it. Any web gurus around that can help me out? I'm using IE 6, and I do realize that this probably won't work on any other browsers, but I don't care.

woohoo, replies!

Doctype looks like this:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">

The funny thing is, I talked to other people who've had similar problems with printing and CSS. One solution I was told is to use the CSS on the original page which makes the data appear correct, and then when the user wants to print the page, you link to a second page for printing which doesn't look right but prints correctly.

So right now, I only do
writing-mode: tb-rl;
and filter: fliph

The vertical texts are backwards on the screen, but print correctly. I can use this for my printing page, and use filter: fliph flipv for the presentation page.

It's not the ideal solution if you ask me, but I think it will work.

Maybe not what you wanted to hear, but if you're printing stuff out, plain HTML pages aren't gonna be much good.
If you have access to PHP, try dumping the stuff out as a PDF. That way you can be sure that it's printing correctly.
This PDF class, when tied in to the helper ezPDF class, is a godsend for this sort of thing!