• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
psykr

Effects of SwapChain::Present()

This topic is 5071 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm using IDirect3DSwapChain9::Present() over the Present() method provided by IDirect3DDevice9::Present() because there's a flag that allows SwapChain::Present() to return early, if the video card is still doing processing. My question is, if it does return early, has my request to flip buffers been acknowledged? Do I have to keep calling Present() until it works? If I called SwapChain::Present, and it returned early, would a subsequent call to DrawPrimitive() be rendered to the current frame (the one Present was supposed to present), or the next frame?

Advertisement
The normal Present can also return early. Most drivers allow the queueing of commands (usually 3-4 frames). You might be making things harder for yourself than they need to be.

To answer your question, probably the next frame, but I'm not sure.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!