Sign in to follow this  
psykr

C++ and C#

C# is going to be an important asset for programmers to know (possess?), so I'm planning on learning it with a bit of game programming. Since my game engine is almost done (in C++), I plan to learn C# by putting the engine in a DLL, then writing games in C#, importing the engine functions from the C++ DLL. However, with this design, a few problems come to mind. I don't know much about C#, so I hope someone else can fill me in. 1) I have a memory manager that tacks extra information onto allocations, for debug purposes and leak tracking. If I were to interface with C#, how would objects be passed across DLL boundaries? If I created an object (with extra padding) in the DLL, then gave it to C# to handle, would I be able to manipulate it the way C++ manipulates cross-DLL objects? 2) Does running the DLL in the context of a C# application affect its.. capabilities? If I had self-modifying code in the DLL, would it still work correctly?

Quote:
Original post by psykr
1) I have a memory manager that tacks extra information onto allocations, for debug purposes and leak tracking. If I were to interface with C#, how would objects be passed across DLL boundaries? If I created an object (with extra padding) in the DLL, then gave it to C# to handle, would I be able to manipulate it the way C++ manipulates cross-DLL objects?
less about DLLs and more about managed. unmanaged code that allocates something is responsible for deallocating it. IIRC.
Quote:
2) Does running the DLL in the context of a C# application affect its.. capabilities? If I had self-modifying code in the DLL, would it still work correctly?
First, WHY?!? Second, it should... if it worked before.

Quote:
Original post by sbayeta
You loose a lot of performance when invoking unmanaged code from managed code. You should try to use C# exclusively, unless you have no other choice.
Who told you that?

As I understand it, there is a bit of a speed hit involved with switching between managed and unmanaged code, which can have be problematic if, for instance, you are using OpenGL in immediate mode by P/Invoking glVertex calls.

As long as the native stuff works on a sufficiently high conceptual level, it shouldn't be an issue.

There is some overhead with invoking native functions from managed code, though it's not going to be a real killer (unless you do something stupid).

Another alternative (the route that I'm going): My engine is all in C++, and I'm scripting things out in C#. There's an intermediate layer of C++/CLI as well (really convenient here: I can access both native and CLI code without doing anything special. This is extremely beneficial).

All in all, C# isn't really difficult to learn if you're already a C++ programmer. Now that we finally have templates to work with, you can pretty much do everything that you could do in C++ (unless we're talking about low level memory management type stuff, of course).

Quote:

Approximate overhead for a platform invoke call: 10 machine instructions (on an x86 processor)

Approximate overhead for a COM interop call: 50 machine instructions (on an x86 processor)

[rolleyes]