Sign in to follow this  
OffDaHizzleN

Programmer Survey

Hello, I am looking for some helpful information in a few categories about Programming. This is for my newly founded site: http://www.technation.000k.net/ ((I would GREATLY appreciate it if you could signup to the forums, there are a LOT more functions coming soon, like rating system, knowledge base. If you join early on and PM me: Soddy You will probably be given a moderator spot on one of the forums of your choice)) Here are the programming languages the site offers: C++/C, PHP, DirectX, OpenGL, SDL, mySQL, 2D art, and 3D Modelling) Now, the information I need are for Resources, Products, etc. Here is the template to answer your questions with, I would really like a description of the [product] and a link. 1. What product(s) would enhance your Programming/3D/2D Abilities? This includes software, actual items like a Pen Tablet, etc.: 2. What free download(s) would enhance your Programming/3D/2D Abilities? Includes any FREE full/demo-version software.: 3. What free resource(s) would enhance your Programming/3D/2D Abilities? This includes any add-ons for a program for example Jasc Paint Shop Pro, downloading Brushes, 3D modelling and seamless textures, etc.: I really appreciate your responses, every single response helps to make TechNation a better site. While your at it, once agin, I would appreciate it if you could join the forums! :D

A cheap flowchart program would be nice, i rarely flowchart, but there are times when i need it to get me through. Hmmm, ive been "thinking" for a couple minutes, frankly im pretty happy as is :-D, (im obviously not the wealth of knowledge i wish i was :-D)
if i come up with anything else ill be sure to post it
-Dan

i've pretty much found everything i need as well, but i'll try and help. heres a list of links to programs/libraries/links that alot of programmers use, and that you might want to add to your site as resource links. its a pain tracking them down, and would do programming noobs a service(for the basics). some of them you can add as downloads.
MSDN - not a download, but a good resource to have
Allegro - like SDL
SDL
OpenGL - useful for reference as well
DirectX9 SDK - might need to change that link
GLUT
Some Free C/C++ Compilers - might want to sort those - obviously free
The Gimp Image Software - free
Jasc Paint Shop Pro - theres a free demo somewhere
OGRE - don't know
Irrlicht Graphics Engine - free
Torque Game Engine - probably need to find the correct site - semi-free
Tenebrae Game Engine - probably not free (haven't checked in awhile)
the flowchart Ademan555 wanted - free demo [grin]
hope that helps somewhat.

<edit><disclaimer> that is by no means a comprehensive list, so anybody who cares feel free to add on.

Wow, Thanks Stormrunner, that is probably ten times more than what I was expecting, I appreciate it a lot. It's better than having to hunt them all down. Thanks a million.

Ademan, I'll look into a 'flowchart' program thing. It may be a possibility in the future to make. ;)

You might want to remove the suggestion of what full software people would like to download for free unless you meant only legal products? Only the mods aren't happy at any mention of encouraging that sort of thing!
Also, I have to ask myself - what does the net need another programming forum for? I've not had more than a cursory look at your site so please tell me if you offer something different, but it seems we're in no shortage of forums - the more they are the fewer people are on each and the less people there are to answer your problems!

Im sorry, D0000gh, but I really didnt ask for any comments (although yours was somewhat resourceful), if you dont have anything to say pertaining to the subject then dont say it all please. I mean, don't assume, like you said, you didn't have 'a cursory look'.
I just realized how people would think its a copy of GameDev. Actually the idea was inspired for it to be a place for all of the gaming communities (2D/3D/Programmers) to come together, and it would be an even better place for people to look for teams, projects, and whatnot because it would have it all.