Weird GetDC() issue with bitmap disapearing when switching screens

Started by
6 comments, last by Red Ghost 19 years, 8 months ago
This is really odd. I have this source code instructing the dialog to show a bitmap. When I change screens, and go back to the dialog, the picture is gone! What the heck? Bitmaps stay in place if I use BeginPaint(). But using GetDC() is causing the bitmap to disapear. This happened in a previous paint program I made too. Any idea why this is happening?

// Bitmap
				hDC = GetDC(dWnd);
				bmpPic = LoadBitmap(hInst, MAKEINTRESOURCE(IDB_PIC));
				hDCPic = CreateCompatibleDC(hDC);
				SelectObject(hDCPic, bmpPic);
				BitBlt(hDC, 0, 72, 400, 400, hDCPic, 0, 0, SRCCOPY);
				DeleteObject(bmpPic);
				DeleteDC(hDCPic);

ReleaseDC(dWnd, hDC);

Doesn't the picture need to update itself every time the window is moved?
Advertisement
Your bitmap will be blitted if you InvalidateRect(). This function calculates the update region for Windows. This function is automatically called by BeginPaint(), so if you don't use BeginPaint() you must InvalidateRect().
Hope that helps.
Ghostly yours,Red.
Do I call it like this? Right now its not showing the bitmap. Like before I heard of this function, I had no idea where to put it on the source code. Still not sure here.

case WM_LBUTTONDOWN:			{				dWnd = CreateDialog(NULL, "IDD_ABOUT", hWnd, (DLGPROC)About);				ShowWindow(dWnd, SW_SHOWNORMAL);								// Combo Box Window				cbWnd = GetDlgItem(dWnd, IDD_SIZE_CBO);				const char *LIST[] = { "Item1", "Item2", "Item3" };				for (int i = 0; i < 3; i++)				{					SendMessage(cbWnd, CB_ADDSTRING, 0, reinterpret_cast<LPARAM>(LIST));				}				// Bitmap				hDC = GetDC(dWnd);				InvalidateRect(dWnd, NULL, true);				bmpPic = LoadBitmap(hInst, MAKEINTRESOURCE(IDB_PIC));				hDCPic = CreateCompatibleDC(hDC);				SelectObject(hDCPic, bmpPic);				BitBlt(hDC, 0, 72, 400, 400, hDCPic, 0, 0, SRCCOPY);				DeleteObject(bmpPic);				DeleteDC(hDCPic);				ReleaseDC(dWnd, hDC);			}			break;

[Edited by - philvaira on August 5, 2004 2:39:20 AM]
Where would I put the InvalidateRect() function?
I tried this source code. The window moves fine with the picture now, but when another window overlaps the one with the picture, the picture disapears. Any idea why?

hDC = GetDC(dWnd);				InvalidateRect(hWnd, NULL, TRUE);				bmpPic = LoadBitmap(hInst, MAKEINTRESOURCE(IDB_PIC));				hDCPic = CreateCompatibleDC(hDC);				SelectObject(hDCPic, bmpPic);				BitBlt(hDC, 0, 72, 400, 400, hDCPic, 0, 0, SRCCOPY);				DeleteObject(bmpPic);				DeleteDC(hDCPic);				ReleaseDC(dWnd, hDC);
Sorry for the delay since I am at work.
In your code, you seem to draw your bitmap whenever you press the left mouse button.
When another window is selected, you lose focus and the mouse messages are handled by the overlapping window.
Two solutions to solve your problem:
1- either you draw the bitmap each time your window receives a WM_PAINT message.
2- or you move your drawing code out of the main message pump:
if (PeekMessage(&_Msg, _hwnd, 0, 0, PM_REMOVE))   {   TranslateMessage(&_Msg);   DispatchMessage(&_Msg);   }else   {   //Drawing code here   }

Hope that helps.
Ghostly yours,Red.
You mean like this? The window flashes and quits.

// Message Loop	if (PeekMessage(&Msg, NULL, 0, 0, PM_REMOVE))	{		TranslateMessage(&Msg);		DispatchMessage(&Msg);	}	else	{		hDC = GetDC(dWnd);		bmpPic = LoadBitmap(hInst, MAKEINTRESOURCE(IDB_PIC));		hDCPic = CreateCompatibleDC(hDC);		SelectObject(hDCPic, bmpPic);		BitBlt(hDC, 0, 0, 400, 400, hDCPic, 0, 0, SRCCOPY);		DeleteObject(bmpPic);		DeleteDC(hDC);		ReleaseDC(dWnd, hDC);	}	return Msg.wParam;}

EDIT:
I made a WM_PAINT message in the dialog's window procedure and dumped the drawing on there. It seems to be working now. Thanks for your advice.
For the second solution, you just need to enclose the if...else statement in a while statement:
while (Running == true) {   if (PeekMessage(&Msg, NULL, 0, 0, PM_REMOVE))      .....}

You set the Running var to false when there is a call to WM_CLOSE message.
Ghostly yours,Red.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement