Any good MIPS Assembly compilers?

Started by
5 comments, last by Malone1234 19 years, 8 months ago
I'm taking C++/Assembly in college in a few weeks, and I was wondering if you recommend any free MIPS Assembly compilers. I don't know if VS 6.0 does or not. Thanks.
Advertisement
By "Assembly compilers" do you mean assemblers or compilers?

I doubt whether the standard Microsoft tools do MIPS - you can't run (full) versions of Windows on MIPS processors. WinCE perhaps, but I think you need separate developer tools for that.

Of course GCC compiles for MIPS processors. You can build a cross compiler that runs on a PC and produces MIPS code, but you will need a whole toolchain and libraries built for MIPS of course.

It may be possible to build a GCC cross compiler on Windows on Cygwin, but is likely to be easier on Linux.

I'm sure there are commercial (extremely expensive) MIPS compilers which do super-optimisation and used for stuff like PS2 development. Your college might get an educational discount on one.

Mark
You can configure GCC to generate MIPS code.

Metrowerks probably has a MIPS version of Codewarrior.

As for Visual Studio, if there is a way to target MIPS, you'll need to buy a specific version/package/extension... It doesn't come out of the box.
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Hi,

Quote:Original post by philvaira
I'm taking C++/Assembly in college in a few weeks, and I was wondering if you recommend any free MIPS Assembly compilers. I don't know if VS 6.0 does or not. Thanks.

Are you sure your university will not give you the necessary software? When I took a class like that, there was everything I ever needed, and some more on the class website. :)

Though admittedly, we never compiled MIPS into binary, just ran it on SPIM...

Vovan
Vovan
Thanks for the link.

I'm sure we will be given the necessary software when school begins. I thought I'd start ahead since I'm a complete nerd.
Quote:you can't run (full) versions of Windows on MIPS processors

NT used to run on MIPS. They dropped support around the NT4 timeframe.

I know that there was a version of msvc that created MIPS code. I don't know if it ran native or was a cross-compiler. I also don't know if there was a native IDE or not.
-Mike
SPIM is the way to go to learn MIPS assembly. When your program screws up, you just get an error and a view of all the current regitsters and the stack. Much better than actually crashing your machine.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement