Jump to content
  • Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
FMDGames

DirectX Problems

This topic is 5070 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Recommended Posts

Hey there. On my development computer, my game runs fine. On another computer without the directx sdk but with the latest redist version it fails: IDirect3D9* d3d9 = 0; d3d9 = Direct3DCreate9(D3D_SDK_VERSION); :@:@:@ Thanks :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Advertisement
Perhaps you have compiled a DEBUG build that uses the debug DX DLLs that don't come with the redist version?

What exactly is the error message you are recieving?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Never heard of the D3D_SDK_VERSION constant in Dx8... your own code? (are you using Dx9?)

I would definitely try reinstalling the retail versions of Dx on the development computer (both the debug and retail come with the SDK), make a new build, then try. If that doesn't work, try a third computer. Or better yet, post it here and see if we can figure it out.

You mentioned there was no error message. If there is no message, then what exactly is going wrong? It seems, from the code you posted, that the device is not being created properly. Since it works on one computer and not another, you may be trying to create a device with display settings (device modes) the second computer can't handle. Do you enumerate all device modes to see if the one you want is supported? If the device is not being created (which sounds like what is happening) my money says this is where the problem is.

Well, that's all the ideas I have, and if they don't work I'm sure some more experienced gurus out there can help you. Best of luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I sent the debug sdk versions of the sdk to the test computers, then they run fine. But why is it using the debug dlls if i specify a realase version and the sdk is set to retail?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sometimes a full rebuild can cure that.

You might try to use the dependency viewer that comes with Visual Studio. It can show you which dlls are directly bound to your app. This way you can check if there are debug dlls bound.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nope, no Debug DLL's are used when compiling a release version. And i have tried rebuilds, they fail also. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Strangely it seems to work ok after rebuilding the release version :S. But i have rebuilt it many times before :S

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Advertisement
×

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!