Sign in to follow this  
FMDGames

DirectX Problems

FMDGames    134
Hey there. On my development computer, my game runs fine. On another computer without the directx sdk but with the latest redist version it fails: IDirect3D9* d3d9 = 0; d3d9 = Direct3DCreate9(D3D_SDK_VERSION); :@:@:@ Thanks :)

Mushu    1396
Never heard of the D3D_SDK_VERSION constant in Dx8... your own code? (are you using Dx9?)

I would definitely try reinstalling the retail versions of Dx on the development computer (both the debug and retail come with the SDK), make a new build, then try. If that doesn't work, try a third computer. Or better yet, post it here and see if we can figure it out.

You mentioned there was no error message. If there is no message, then what exactly is going wrong? It seems, from the code you posted, that the device is not being created properly. Since it works on one computer and not another, you may be trying to create a device with display settings (device modes) the second computer can't handle. Do you enumerate all device modes to see if the one you want is supported? If the device is not being created (which sounds like what is happening) my money says this is where the problem is.

Well, that's all the ideas I have, and if they don't work I'm sure some more experienced gurus out there can help you. Best of luck.

FMDGames    134
I sent the debug sdk versions of the sdk to the test computers, then they run fine. But why is it using the debug dlls if i specify a realase version and the sdk is set to retail?

Endurion    5411
Sometimes a full rebuild can cure that.

You might try to use the dependency viewer that comes with Visual Studio. It can show you which dlls are directly bound to your app. This way you can check if there are debug dlls bound.