Face animation using textures

Started by
2 comments, last by GoldMage 19 years, 8 months ago
I am trying to come up with a way to bring life to my game character that is simply a ball. I believe adding eyes that move and blink would be a very big step into making people believe it's a character an not just a ball. He also has a mouth that would open and close at certain points. I'm sure there is a way to do this using textures but I'm not sure how. Any ideas?
Advertisement
There are to ways to do this that I know of. First you can create a different texture for each facial expression(eyes open, eyes closed and so on), and just switch to the appropriate texture before you render-out the character's head. Secondly you can have a single texture with the eyes and mouth open, and deform (or exchange) your head mesh when the character blinks or closes his mouth, so that the textured area inside of the eyes and mouth are concealed.
The way I would do it is to have say a 64x128 texture for the eyes, and that texture would have 2 frames, each 64x64. One frame would be the eyes closed, one would be the eyes open. You just change the texture coordinates to fit whatever frame you need to draw the ball with eyes open or closed. You could use the same method for the mouth as well.
Figured so just how about making eyes look at a 3d vector? You know like in windwaker link would look at certain objects as clues?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement