It's here! (new Blender release)

Started by
25 comments, last by JTippetts 19 years, 8 months ago
Hey, once you learn in UI you will find it to be one of the easiest to work with ever. The workflow is amazing. quit being lazy and just learn it. It's not that hard. Find that old original UI tutorial. Blender uses a lot of hotkeys. It's best to have one hand on the keyboard and one hand on the mouse.
Advertisement
It has nothing to do with lazyness. When I have to spend 15 minutes looking for a something in an abortion of a UI, there are better things to do with your time. There are good designs, and bad designs. I'm not trying to attack blender here. I think it's an awesome program behind a bad UI.

If a word processor required me to hunt around for 10 minutes looking at a bunch of seemingly randomly placed buttons, then finally making me give up and hunt around the web looking for a tutorial just so I could center and bold a line of text, I wouldn't use it either. I don't care how good the spell checker is, or how little it cost.

Over the last ten years I've used countless 3d editors and level editors and paint programs, and everytime I need something in any of these programs, it's all right at my finger tips in menus that are grouped by their functionaly which usually have the hotkey listed with them.

For instance, I tried that Dele3D editor the other day, and in fifteen minutes, I had a small medieval street-marketplace done up. Everthing I needed was right in front of me and I was able to pick it up. I think some aspects of the program can use work, but overall the interface has a good clean, well thought out design, and it was very easy to use it on my first try.

Blender was the first 3D program I've really used. I actually liked the UI. Of course there's a benefit of not knowing any other 3d package UI like 3dsMax or Maya, which I understand have the standard look and feel for a 3D package application. When I do use programs like Milkshape, I find it annoying to spend an extra mouse click to do something which in Blender you could do with your left hand on the keyboard. But really, it's kind of apples and oranges. you either you like it or you don't. No need to argue :)
*Installing Blender now for the hell of it.* :)

- How do I get the view mode with 4 views? Top | Right | Left | 3D.
- Why do I have 2 copies of the same menu at the top and bottom of the viewport?
- Still hating the GUI, though it's a bit diffrent now.
- Can I move this big menu to the side?
- Can I get rid of the asociated console window?
Quote:Original post by Vampyre_Dark
*Installing Blender now for the hell of it.* :)

[smile]

Quote:
- How do I get the view mode with 4 views? Top | Right | Left | 3D.

Move your cursor to the edge of the viewport until you get the black arrow to sizing; right click and select split, choose where you wish to split; continue until yuo have desired effect; there are the other optiuons for joining, it takes a second to get used to, be sure you have the majority of the arrow on the window you want to split. Adjust view with Numpad, just run though it and get used to it. 5 alternates between perspective/nonpersective view, all other buttons are preset views (side, fornt, top, etc)

Quote:
- Why do I have 2 copies of the same menu at the top and bottom of the viewport?

You shouldn't... Hmm, you can change the menu by clicking on the icon and selecting the desired menu; same thing for viewports, if you make a new window you can chnage what it shows (UV editor, IPO editor, actions view, 3d view, etc)
Quote:
- Can I move this big menu to the side?

Don't know exactly what you're talking about, but most menus can be moved if you click the caption bar and hold.
Quote:
- Can I get rid of the asociated console window?

Nope.

Try these tutorials, then look at some others here too. Keep in mind, these tutorials are quite old and may be incorrect in some cases, but not all and it will give you a good idea of the UI and blender's capabilities.

Elysiun.com--A very nice BLender community.
Hmm, once I get my computer back, play some Doom 3, and Galaxies, I'll probably give it a try. And thanks for the Tutorial links, they seem relaly good(haven't had a good look though).
if(this.post == SATISFYING){money.send(1.00,&HemoGloben);return thanks;}
I wonder what Yafray's capable of. I tried switching to it from Blender to see the difference. Apparently it can't do toon shading, and one scene I lit using a hemisphere of many weaker lights looks great in plain Blender, but incredibly dark using Yafray. Plus it was way slower.

Jesus saves ... the rest of you take 2d4 fire damage.

Quote:Original post by 23yrold3yrold
I wonder what Yafray's capable of. I tried switching to it from Blender to see the difference. Apparently it can't do toon shading, and one scene I lit using a hemisphere of many weaker lights looks great in plain Blender, but incredibly dark using Yafray. Plus it was way slower.

Yafray is slower because it's a raytracer and Blender uses a scanline renderer.
To get good results in Yafray you really have to crank up the lights and play with the photon settings. My last post in the Post Your Artwork thread where I did the test render of that old board game was done with Yafray.
The wall and crossbow? Not exactly an eyepopping render. [wink]
But I'll play with it. See how much more photorealistic Yafray is ... if I can stand the render times ...

EDIT: How is it for radiosity? Blender's radiosity support sucks ...

Here's me playing with weighted subsurf creases and depth of focus. Any idea how to make the blurring in the background a little smoother? Way too jagged ...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement