Ant mmorpg?

Started by
10 comments, last by valkyr 19 years, 8 months ago
I was wondering if anyone thought that an ant mmorpg would be an ok idea. There would be 2 groups red and black ants. These groups would be rivals and fight against eachother. There would be vast caves and many ants. The players would all be solder ants (its not much fun to be a worker i would imagine). Missions would be given out by many npcs which could include attacking an enemy base, killing other insects so that the worker ants can collect its food. There would also be wars for ant bases and one group would try to kill the other groups queen and take over the base. There could be more advanced missions against humans in which a large group of ants would try to take down humans that have been bothering their base. Some how magic could be implemented and there could be armor and weapons which although doesnt make sense it could be done since games are meant for fun. There woul be different classes for example there could be army ants which are more of a warrior class. Some other kind of ants(I am not an ant expert so not sure what would be fit for it) could be magic users, or thiefs, etc. Please tell me what you think whether it is good or bad any criticism is good in my opinion. Also if anyone wants to work on this email me at coolhandluc727@hotmail.com
Advertisement
Why not base it off the game "Sim Ant", but make it in to a MMORPG theme. In MMRPGS there is workers and some people enjoy
it a lot. Some people don't find fighting that fun and like to
do alternate things. In Ultima Online they have Merchants and fisherman and many non physical classes. Why not have it a clan
based game. The leader is the queen and they have to recruit workers, soliders, breeders. Each one having its speciality to do things. Maybe workers can carry lots of food and have a higher capacity while the soldiers can fight well but have trouble fixing things and have a very low capacity. I'm sure you can think of some way to balance it out.

PS: All ants are girls except breeders.
West Side...
I think that could be a really, really cool idea.
Interesting idea, but it appeasr quite linear at the moment. Think about the general idea more and think of different 'ant classes'. You already mentioned soldieres and workers. There are at least sublasses within in those and other classes can be thought of.

Also, things like a new queen could be born and the a faction of the ants in the current clan or 'hill' would break off and form a new one.

I like the idea. Keep at it! [smile]
This sounds similar to sim ant, which i wasted my gaming life on for 2 years of so (not very proud of that)...

as for the idea, it is very perfect...otherwise it wouldn't have been made into sim ant...with the addition of multiplayer it oculd be as good or inproved...

now would this be a true MMORPG or would this me a MMOSG (acrynim made up)...a massive multiplayer stratagy game? would it be many different "games" with 2 players each or would it be one HUGE world w/ different collonies? could there be more than 2 players...

I think the important development issues here are which main direction you are taking it in...

you want it to be multiplayer...what scope
you want it to be MMO...stratagy or true RPG
you want it to be about ants...ants don't have seperate classes beyond the pecking order of (this is based off my knowledge of social wasps which, to the extent of my knowledge is not only closely related to many of the ant species, but also has the same social makeup...i think)
queen (lays eggs all day)
royal workers (queens that didn't quite cut it but were fed to cut it...they work like others)
nurse/feeders (feed the larva)
(i kno this status about some ants...usually tropical tree cutters) farmers
soldiers (guards at ant colony...)
workers (drones)

there is probably mroe...

that is the extent of my knowledge on ants...

try googling more...

my best of wishes to you...

-Ajain
...though i do not believe in what you are saying, I will defend your right to say it to my death!(no source sited)
Well when i posted this it was just a general idea i had thought of. Im hoping maybe i can find some people to work on this with me. About the classes I was thinking maybe people could live the life cycle of a normal ant and then after maybe a month their ant dies although it keeps all attributes, lvl, items, etc it could change form from what it was before. For example a warrior would eventually die and then could choose to remain a warrior or become something else. Also when i said worker and warrior those were very broad categories with many subsections. By warrior i did not mean the typical melee tanker guy i just meant combat, and worker could mean many things like a foog gatherer, a tunneler(sounds the most fun), the queens assistant, moving the dead, or whatever else ants do. Warriors could be a ranged unit magic using somehow a mellee unit,etc. Also i dont think that realism is the most important but fun is so i dont think it matetrs if things like how can ants cast magic would really matter. I also agree on the idea of new factions starting off from queen ants and new ant mounts coming. That would take lots of work though. I think with this project if I do get it started I will start small and make a bad version of this game but very simple and i will keep improving it so eventually i will have a good team,etc. Well im getting very tired so I think ill go to sleep. IF your intrested my email is above.
Admittedly, it would be amusing if you put a "magic something" in there and, when an ant picked it up, all ants of their side had the power given by that something...perhaps "cast fire ball", "liquid dirt (to fill in places...usually the other team's i would guess)", or whatever else...you should probably, if you do that, put a timer on it and make the "magic something" respawn randomly after that timer runs out...but not right outside an ants nest...

you could also have many "powerups" for individual ants which could be either much stronger or much weaker...if they were stronger you could have, perhaps, "make it rain" (rain could kill, hurt, or maim ants that it hits), "invisibility", "super speed/better attack", etc....if they were to be weaker you could have stuff like "quick dig", "larger inventory" (after powerup wears off I don't know how you would end this...they could either drop all extra stuff or could just have their inv. decrease size as they take stuff out until it is normal), etc....these could have, maybe, 5 on the board...with a slightly shorter/longer timer...

I am not a game designer...i'm sorry if any of these ideas do not seem logical...

-Ajain
...though i do not believe in what you are saying, I will defend your right to say it to my death!(no source sited)
Well I meant for of a magic class as aposed to special powers that give ants magic. I think that the rain was a good idea. It could be a world event or something or like in sim ant a lawn mower, or maybe a human steps on some ants and that turns into a giant mission to kill the human. Well i think im gonna try to get a team together for this thnks for your criticism and if you have any thing else to say Ill keep checking this every day or so if im not on summer vacation.
Quote:Original post by coolhandluc
or maybe a human steps on some ants and that turns into a giant mission to kill the human.

[wow]

*Pictures all the ants he has killed*
*Pictures the wasps/caterpillars/small mammals he has seen dead and covered in ants*
*runs*

Quote:Original post by valkyr
Also, things like a new queen could be born and the a faction of the ants in the current clan or 'hill' would break off and form a new one.

Would the Queen be a player charcter or not? It'd be pretty cool if every now and again, a new joining player was spawned as a queen with their own ant minions to control.

Of course, you'd have to deal with internal ant politics - if people weren't happy with how their hill was being run, they'd gang together and overthrow the queen [wink]

Sounds like an interesting idea anyhow [smile]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement