What operating systems is c++ capable of running on?

Started by
16 comments, last by Qw3r7yU10p! 19 years, 8 months ago
Hi, i'm just wondering what operating systems c++ is capable of running on? Thanks
Advertisement
Any environment compatable with the one used for development.
Well any operating system where theres a c++ complier which would be practically every one.
any system in the universe that has a C++ compiler written for it. C++ is a language, languages can run on any platform as they are just an interface between human-readible code and machine-readible code. a compiler+linker translates the C++ language into machine-readible code.

-me
Quote:Original post by johnnyBravo
Hi, i'm just wondering what operating systems c++ is capable of running on?
Simple answer (and I'm serious)

Anybody who has to ask this question, has never heard of one that it won't "run" on.
Anything!! c++ is platform independant, as long as there are development tools and libraries for that platform
thats my understanding of if
hope that helps
-Dan
When General Patton died after World War 2 he went to the gates of Heaven to talk to St. Peter. The first thing he asked is if there were any Marines in heaven. St. Peter told him no, Marines are too rowdy for heaven. He then asked why Patton wanted to know. Patton told him he was sick of the Marines overshadowing the Army because they did more with less and were all hard-core sons of bitches. St. Peter reassured him there were no Marines so Patton went into Heaven. As he was checking out his new home he rounded a corner and saw someone in Marine Dress Blues. He ran back to St. Peter and yelled "You lied to me! There are Marines in heaven!" St. Peter said "Who him? That's just God. He wishes he were a Marine."
So if i wrote a c++ program using non specific platform libraries in windows, could i use that on mac?
If the platform can compute, C++ can run on it. It might take quite a bit of work to get your program working on it though (I'm guessing that you'd need to write your own compiler for quantum machines or something, and I'm guessing it probably wouldn't be easy).
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
Quote:Original post by johnnyBravo
So if i wrote a c++ program using non specific platform libraries in windows, could i use that on mac?

Signs point to no, unless you use an x86 emulator on the mac end, or a cross compiler on the windows end.
The executable your compiler generates is compatable only with the environment the compiler is setup for.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement