Where do I begin

Started by
20 comments, last by red_sodium 19 years, 8 months ago
people are making this sound hard but I still want to make games. I'm not a math person I have no faith I could learn C++ Still what can I do? Is it possible to make Marketable games with out Knowledge of C++? What should I start with?
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by bemanisuperstar
Is it possible to make Marketable games with out Knowledge of C++?

What should I start with?

Yes it is. Although most commmercial games are done in C++ I am sure one could be done using C# or Visual Basic. If your new to programming though don't expect to make anything the least bit marketable for a long time. I would suggest at least trying to learn a C syntax language like C++, C# or Python. However if you find these too difficult try something simpler like Visual Basic(at least you could create a graphical game right away). I learnt QBasic first and after that VB, Python and then C++. Once you know the basic concepts behind programming, learning new languages is easy.
How much math is involved Like I said I'm not very good with math at all.
well, you'll have a start here, but if not enough, you can always trust google...
anyways, you want to sell your games? go to here and ask the guys there. they'll be nice if you ask nice and clearly.
if you are not programming biased (more or less like me, i like programming, but i like other things more, like graphics), you can join other people who does like programming, or... use some gamemaking programs... (most people here will tell you don't do it, i'll tell you: try and take your own decision)
things you can try (besides C++):

- Keep learning C++ and all the stuff you'll need.
- Try some "easier" language (Visual Basic, C#, the mighty DELPHI, JAVA, etc.) first and then (if you want) go with C++. once you learn one language, it will be easier to learn others (well, may be not lisp, or COBOL :) ). oh, try to develop some game with the "easier" language too.
- BlitzBasic (Basic language for games and/or apps)
- DarkBasic (more or less the same)
- 3D Game Studio (it has a scripting language)
- Quest3D (I like this one, not "programming", but "programming blocks"). Basic version is 89$, if i'm not wrong. C++ SDK for plugins. i bought the ~800$ (well, my company). still learning, but NICE (for me...)
- Virtools. Uses the "programming blocks" concept, it has an scripting language and a C++ SDK. VERY expensive. I haven't tried. I'll ask them the trial by email this week and see.
- Reality Factory (not programming at all, you configure ini files, IIRC)
- Flash/Director. yes, you can make games with that, and sell them. may be not DOOM X, but i can program in C, and i'd barely make a 2D plataformer with that...
- Game making is not all about programming, or doing everything by yourself: you can join forces with others, or use other tools, or "put your suggestion here", but there's always a workaround. just take your time and put some effort on it!

hope it helps.
-----------------------------------------------------------Web Comic
oh, and i suck at math, too... but i passed all my classes at university... and still have not idea... damn. well, math is not what i like, but you should learn some (at least some algebra, and trig). and take your time to improve.
oh, i forgot this one: Multimedia Fusion. there's a trial, too.
-----------------------------------------------------------Web Comic
I failed every math class I ever took.

I'm alright with Geometry

But Algebra.......no freakin way.
and forget Trig.....

I could do some stuff with a calculator I know how to do somethings but I've never been a numbers person.

I'm more creative than logical unless it's creative logic if that makes sense
Quote:Original post by exepotes
or... use some gamemaking programs... (most people here will tell you don't do it)

DON'T DO IT! THOSE PROGRAMS ARE TEH DEVIL! No one on these boards will ever respect you if you use some "fake" language like BlitzBasic or DarkBasic or some program that pieces the game together for you. Java's only really purpose is for online programs which can also be done in Flash(although that really wouldn't be programming either). As for math well most people will tell you that you need it to live, but almost anything you'll need can be found in online tutorials or using google.
Quote:Original post by Scet
Quote:Original post by exepotes
or... use some gamemaking programs... (most people here will tell you don't do it)

DON'T DO IT! THOSE PROGRAMS ARE TEH DEVIL! No one on these boards will ever respect you if you use some "fake" language like BlitzBasic or DarkBasic or some program that pieces the game together for you. Java's only really purpose is for online programs which can also be done in Flash(although that really wouldn't be programming either). As for math well most people will tell you that you need it to live, but almost anything you'll need can be found in online tutorials or using google.

What about something like Mugen? (that's a bitch to use)

Would game making programs at least give a Noob like me a slight idea on how a game is done?
Quote:Original post by bemanisuperstar
What about something like Mugen? (that's a bitch to use)

Would game making programs at least give a Noob like me a slight idea on how a game is done?

Well I don't know what Mugen is(I did a google search but couldn't find anything). I suppose even using something like BlitzBasic or DarkBasic would give you some concept of how game programming is done. However I suggest if you're really having trouble to at least give Visual Basic a shot though as it's really easy, and its not just for games. Using "cookie cutter" game making apps will not give you the right idea as no real game uses these and they have nothing to do with programming.
MUGEN is a terrible example of a general purpose game maker. Essentially, to make a game with MUGEN, you make assloads of art and then fill in a config file with a few bits of data for each special move (for the unenlightened, MUGEN is a customizable fighting game engine). I don't think anyone's ever made a non-fighting game with MUGEN...

The other things suggested (like Blitz Basic, etc.) are fine IMO. I didn't start programming anything really game-like until I got a free copy of AMOS for the Amiga on the disk that came with a magazine... (AMOS is like Blitz Basic but over 10 years old).

Something a bit more general purpose that's less rigid than MUGEN would be better suited for learning how to make games. It's up to you if you want something that's a lot of drag-and-drop with a bit of code here and there (like Multimedia Fusion or Flash), or something that's more like real programming, such as Blitz Basic, Dark Basic, or whatever.

Being a math person or not has nothing to do with whether you could learn C++ or not. The math only comes in when you get into things that actually need it (mostly graphics and physics stuff). So, if you want to learn to program, feel free to try C++ (though be warned it'll take quite a while before you have anything fun on the screen to look at). Alternately, you could learn Python and the Pygame libraries. Python's a very nice language and Pygame is an addon including stuff useful for game programming. That said though, you could choose any language you like. The basics of programming can be learned using almost any language, the only difference is the syntax.

Be warned though, unless you go the game constructor route (like MMF or Flash), math will eventually rear its ugly head whether you like it or not. As soon as animating things happens, you will almost definitely end up needing some trig somewhere, but more often than not, it's really simple (ie: intro-level stuff). But when you move into 3D, that's where the math gets much hairier...

Now, the question to you is, which route do YOU want to go? Coding games from scratch or the drag-drop-script route? Suggestions have been made for both paths, so look through your options and decide how far you really want to go. And don't worry too much about it, you can always go more or less hardcore whenever you're ready.

If you have any other concerns (regarding math or whatever), do feel free to reply.

-Auron

(EDIT: For further reference, MUGEN used to be created by a group called Elecbyte who seems to have disappeared a while ago. I really recommend against it for another reason, it doesn't work so well for anyone using Windows NT, 2000 or XP)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement