What is fun? (MMORPG)

Started by
55 comments, last by IronWolf 19 years, 7 months ago
ive played alot of of big MMORPGs out there, AO DAoC SWG L2 COH. i like these types of games but most of them have only one thing that really makes them a good game. in AO i liked the PvP compbat and the ability to "twink". SWG had a good skill based system. and so on and so on. one thing that i didnt like about these games though, is the grind. Im beginning a project, i know that alot of people decide to do there own MMORPG because they think they have the best ideas, but i want to give it a go anyway. I want my game to have features that people like though, and i want to exclude things that people dont like. so my question to you is, what do you like about an mmorpg? what do you not like in mmorpg? do you have any suggestions for a new feature in a mmorpg my goal for this game is for it to be fun, and exciting. realism is not such a big goal, i just want the game to be fun
Advertisement
I like MMORPGs without people.

Seriously. So much game design needs to be done around keeping players from ruining others' fun or from exploiting the game... And it pretty much is never enough.
Quote:Original post by Telastyn
I like MMORPGs without people.

Seriously. So much game design needs to be done around keeping players from ruining others' fun or from exploiting the game... And it pretty much is never enough.

MMORPGs without people are called RPGs. RPGs are fun for people who dont want other people to interfere with their game. MMORPGs have interaction with other people. this includes nice people, and not so nice people. the fun part of MMORPGs for me, is being able to be effected by other players, and being able to effect them. IMO RPGs withough the multi player part are boring because you are only able to effect a world full of NPCs, which isnt very interesting to me.

this got me thinking though and i think the MMOPRG im writing should have something implemented so that players can really effect the online world around them.
Unfortunately, most (all?) MMPORPG's follow the simple equation: free speech + anonymity == asshole. 60% of the players in an online game will be jackasses. That takes a lot of the fun out of it imo.
so what would be a way to deal with assholes? how can we give them more consequences for theyre actions? generally in real life assholes arnt welcome around places where people are ie citys. what is a way to make assholes more of outcasts from society?
Fun is what you want to play.

It's even better if you're a game developer and you make a game you want to play.

I don't think there is any way in an MMORPG to make aholes pay a price that they can't exploit to make innocents pay. Case in point: Some FPS servers will kick a player for killing a teammate. So what do the griefers do? They take one shot at you so that you'll kill them and get kicked. Griefers are among the most resourceful of troublemakers. If they weren't resourceful, they wouldn't bother being griefers.
It's not what you're taught, it's what you learn.
Brand the assholes with scarlet letters! Woohoo! [wow]
Well before this thread becomes a MMORPG rant, I would like to add something that I would like to see implemented at some point.

Crafting- New items. Give the player a set of resources preferably a lot and then left the make items however they want.

For example: If a person wants to make a pen that has a pencil sticking out of the bottom of it - let them. Even if it requires nailing/glueing two objects together let it be done.

This would of course require a good physics model. Other wise you would have people creating objects so long that they couldn't lift them.

mehhh enough rambling for tonight.
[s]I am a signature virus. Please add me to your signature so that I may multiply.[/s]I am a signature anti-virus. Please use me to remove your signature virus.
In my opinion, a good MMORPG relies more upon the variety of activities than anything else. Freedom is key for my enjoyment. Also, I don't want to have to sit for hours performing repetitive activities to gain skill in something that's useless until mastered. I hate leveling with a passion; in my opinion, and this is only my own, a character should be able to reach his utmost potential skillwise in less than a week of playtime. I know those are basically fragmented thoughts, but it's all I could think of at the time.
ok, i have ideas about how to solve some common dislikes people have with mmorpgs, but i dont really know if i can post them on the web. what i mean is, will people steal my ideas? i dont want to sound selfish by hogging my ideas. and i dont want to sound snoody, as in, "my ideas are the best and people will want to steal them." but i would kinda like to design my game with the intention of releasing the new ideas with the game. im at the beggining of the design process right now and this is part of my research, right now im trying to find out why people like MMORPGs and what they dont like about them. so if you could let me know if ide be putting my ideas at risk by posting them on this thread, that would be great.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement