• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help Choosing a Beginning Windows Programming Book

This topic is 6602 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I assume it's the one by Ivor Horton. I've got "Beginning Visual C++ 5.0" and it focus very much on MFC and stuff related to MS Visual C++. It's pretty good but does also include some very basic C++ programming. Check out the comments over at amazon.com, they're usually quite helpful.

Advertisement
I don't have any direct books for you, but Andre LaMothe's Windows game programming book has some basic windows programming elements that you'll need to learn in order to make games.

Personally, I'd avoid MFC at first. Maybe its just my own thing. But MFC makes the way windows behave a little more mysterious. Learning how the message system works, and handling different windows and controls I feel is very important.

Not that I have anything against MFC really. It has some really nice features for you. I just like starting leaner, and getting fatter as I go. Allows you to disect better which elements you need, and help you and which parts are just overhead.

I have a pretty solid grasp of C++ but I have done very little in the way of windows programming and am looking to buy a good book that will start me off in the right direction. I was thinking of "Beginning visual c++ 6.0" Is this a good choice? Suggestions are welcome.

• Advertisement