Emergent Intelligence

Started by
72 comments, last by Nathaniel Hammen 19 years, 7 months ago
nice
your armies learned that world peace was the best answer
takes a bunch of triangles to figure that out what people cant...
Advertisement
That's pretty cool, but it sounds more like genetic algorithms than emergent behaviour. Although I guess the two are somewhat similar.
well, what was happening was that the genetic algorithm(it approximated it, k?), was displaying emergent behavior.
Interesting, tho.
~V'lionBugle4d
Well, we could dive into the definitions of EI, but I think i'll stick to my original defenition, that EI is demonstrated by a group of "limited" individuals coming together and solving problems none of them could solve alone.

The triangle army experiment indicates that each triangle came to its own conclusion on how it should operate, its wasnt a communal achievement... and also lets not forget that "breeding" in those digital universes many times means "chaotic cloning" more than anything else...
From the original post is Emergent Behaviour really the right thing to be looking at rather than Genetic algorithim/Programming
(never quite know the difference) or a mix of the two?
Creating a million bots which display emergent behaviour would not have any of them learn from the experience. Somebody at BlitzCoder wrote a simple FSM battle similar to the triangles
example. The flee/attack code made it look as if weaker/smaller
'triangles' were hiding behind stronger/larger triangles and ganging-up on stronger opponents. 'Ganging-up' was never coded but occurred as a by-product of the programming.
However, this would not allow...
"and watch them better themselves...?"
Maybe those triangles that flank or box around larger enemies
to reach smaller enemies should be rewarded etc etc.

I have done some reading on the topic, but am certainly not an expert. Here are a few sites with ideas/definitions about emergence at varying levels of depth. If nothing else, they probably have some good references:

http://people.imise.uni-leipzig.de/alexander.heussner/files/Emergence_in_ALife.pdf

http://www.arch.usyd.edu.au/~rob/study/EmergenceAndArtificialLife.html

http://sites.inka.de/moebius/origami/dessau2003.pdf

Quote:Original post by InnocuousFox
*shrug*

Well, I'm just repeating what game AI designers, programmers and litterature consider "emergent behavior" to be. Perhaps it is different in the "real world"... but seeing as this is a game AI board, I didn't bother addressing contexts other than that of game AI.

I've seen you use this "out" quite a bit after you've stated something completely wrong. You are wrong. The literature does not express what you stated to be so. Emergent behavior is understood to be precisely what Timkin described and precisely not what you described. And it doesnt matter if its applied to a game, a flocking system, a full fledged AI exprement, or anything else.

Can I ask what credentials you have in the AI world? I suspect your credentials are limmited to writing games and while this does happen to be a GameDev, thats no excuse for being constantly wrong or having such a limmited "cheap hack" view of the subject of AI, game related or not.

Not all game designers are cheap hack implimenters. Some actualy impliment AI as understood by the AI community. Some actualy strive for more than the sum of its parts.

Yep. I suck. In fact, I should be so embarassed by myself that I should post anonymously thereby avoiding all responsibility for what I post.

From AI-depot.com
Quote:"Emergent behavior is behavior that looks complex and/or purposeful to the observer but is actually derived spontaneously from fairly simple rules."

From Emergent Behavior, Cellular Automata, and Our Game “Mr. Froggy”
Quote:"Recently, emergent behaviors have become crucial in game design and implementation, where it is important to increase game’s intelligence by adding more unpredictability into the game. Chris Crawford in his book [6], states a game he would like to build, “Attack of Cellular Automata”. He quotes that it might be fun in fighting a war with cellular automata. The cellular automata have emergent behaviors, which gives rise to interesting game-play. In this paper, we report our approach to realize some of the above ideas using conceptual framework of cellular automata. Sections II and III briefly review use of Emergent Behavior (EB) and Cellular Automata (CA) for games. Section IV reviews open source Java applet MJCell v. 1.50. Our framework for software architecture for developing CA games is described in Section V. Section VI discusses our game “Mr. Froggy”, and Section VII gives concluding remarks.

II. EMERGENT BEHAVIOR AND GAMES “Emergent behavior is that which cannot be predicted through analysis at any level simpler than that of the system as a whole… Emergent behavior, by definition, is what’s left after everything else has been explained” (Dyson & George, 1997 [9]). Emergence is also defined as the action of simple rules combining to produce complex results (Rollings et al., 2003 [17]). A game with emergent properties can create an illusion of intelligence to a game AI (Scott, 2002 [19]); it can make even the game designers surprised on how the game runs, how the game evolves, and even they do not know the best strategy to win the game. Emergence has become a popular buzzword over the past decade (Kreimeier, 2000 [12]). Kreimeier [12] reports that Marc LeBlanc attempted to make a case for emergent complexity as a possible source for "fun." In his view, such emergence creates larger spaces to explore, offering the player more features to discover and more challenges to meet"

From a Gamasutra article about the state of the industry:
Quote:One nice side effect demonstrating the intrinsic power of such a straightforward approach to AI can be seen in something called "emergent behavior." A developer faced with coding a complex AI can instead break it down into smaller pieces. Rather than having to code thousands of rules for every conceivable situation that could arise in a game, lower-level behaviors are coded individually and then linked in a decision-making hierarchy. The interaction between these low-level behaviors can cause higher-level, more "intelligent" behaviors to emerge without any explicit programming. This is the basis behind flocking, an AI technology that seeks to emulate the behavior of large groups of animals, such as flocks of birds or schools of fish. No one member of a flock actually knows anything about the motion of the flock, and yet through individual actions their motions are coordinated and fluid. Flocking has found its way into a number of first-person shooters and RPGs as the basis of sort of artificial life, another form of AI technology seeing more use in games.

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer of Intrinsic Algorithm LLC
Professional consultant on game AI, mathematical modeling, simulation modeling
Co-founder and 10 year advisor of the GDC AI Summit
Author of the book, Behavioral Mathematics for Game AI
Blogs I write:
IA News - What's happening at IA | IA on AI - AI news and notes | Post-Play'em - Observations on AI of games I play

"Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

Oh for gods sakes, does this board have to become a battle between academia and industry? In game development, emergent behavior *is* a good-looking coincidence. In university, it's a non-linear whatchamacallit. Whoop de doo.

I've been a game programmer for 10 years at 4 different companies and we all consider emergent behavior to be what InnocuousFox says.

Oh no, we must not use an improper definition!

Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
I've been a game programmer for 10 years at 4 different companies and we all consider emergent behavior to be what InnocuousFox says.

[sarcasm]Gee... but you don't have any "credentials". Obviously YOU aren't snootty enough to provide us with an opinion or observation that matters.[/sarcasm]

(Crap... I'm not a doctor with medical training and all that credentially stuff, but I can sure as hell diagnose a broken arm, can't I?)

Quote:Oh no, we must not use an improper definition!

As I've made the point before, some people spend so long fine-tuning their little definitions and theorems in the land of academia that they don't actually DO anything.

Thanks for your input. I wish you weren't anonymous too.

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer of Intrinsic Algorithm LLC
Professional consultant on game AI, mathematical modeling, simulation modeling
Co-founder and 10 year advisor of the GDC AI Summit
Author of the book, Behavioral Mathematics for Game AI
Blogs I write:
IA News - What's happening at IA | IA on AI - AI news and notes | Post-Play'em - Observations on AI of games I play

"Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement